Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
People are stupid, if people were smart about their finances about 95% of people who have an iPhone X woudln't have one, 99% of people who have coach bags woudln't have them.
Back when I was somewhat into premium handbags (Coach isn't a true luxury brand) I used to pay $5--$70 for a Coach bag at the outlet mall. I actually liked Coach's outlet line better because it was less trendy and I could get more years out of it without it seeming dated. Something non-hideous from Target's accessories department would be $40 or so, so pretty much pocket change difference for something I actively use 2-4 times a week. (And then I got bored with the 'designer' look, donated a bunch of the Coach bags to the animal shelter and started buying rather utilitarian Tom Bihn bags that cost as much to a little more than what I used to spend on Coach bags, but that's another thread)

As for the iPhone, I think my old 6S+ works just find and don't see benefit in upgrading. But adjusted for inflation, a lot of the folks financing an iPhone X are paying significantly less for their monthly telecom bill and getting significantly more for their money than someone who was making a moderate number of long distance land line phone calls during the Ma Bell monopoly 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And that makes more sense than a $30k brand new car?
I drive about 4000 miles a year. So if I buy a $30K four year old Mercedes and sell it for $14K four years later, I've spent $4K a year on depreciation. A brand new car ($30K gets you nothing special) depreciates twice that much on the first day. And I get to drive a Mercedes.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If you're making $300k+ a year and live in a $500k home and have at least $200k invested for retirement, you're worth $1M.
??? If you live in a $500K home and have $200K invested for retirement, you're worth $700K minus any mortgage balance on the house. To be worth a million you have to have assets minus liabilities worth a million. Income doesn't count.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I drive about 4000 miles a year. So if I buy a $30K four year old Mercedes and sell it for $14K four years later, I've spent $4K a year on depreciation. A brand new car ($30K gets you nothing special) depreciates twice that much on the first day. And I get to drive a Mercedes.
No you haven’t.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:34 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
??? If you live in a $500K home and have $200K invested for retirement, you're worth $700K minus any mortgage balance on the house. To be worth a million you have to have assets minus liabilities worth a million. Income doesn't count.
It does if consumption is zero.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Gee, we own three cars. The newest is 10 years old, was purchased used 6 years ago, and has 175,000 miles. My wife's daily driver is 12 years old - bought new with super discounts. My summer fun car is 18 years old - bought used 5 years ago.

Oh, and I worked as an engineer in the auto industry for over 35 years. Even with company discounts I bought half of all our vehicles used.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:09 AM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i have only bought new cars since 1974. we keep them 5 years or so , then i get bored and want something else .

i always liked my new cars . we did not travel much before retirement so cars were my thing . mostly bmw's .

Old 05-17-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No you haven’t.
By all means, if you know of a better way to express this idea, please do so. I know perfectly well that depreciation is a noncash cost, but this is an internet forum and I am not trying to pass a CPA exam.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
I agree with him on this one. Cars are a huge net worth killer. Depreciation, taxes, insurance, interest. The opportunity cost of not investing that money is massive. Fortunately for the auto industry, there will always be enough suckers who fall for the "look how impressed by neighbors are" marketing. But if you're on this forum, you should know better.

You can either look like a millionaire or be one - not both.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Buying something you like and enjoy is not necessarily dumb. It might be if it means it catches you short on other obligations but there is nothing wrong with enjoying some of the money you make.
I agree with you to an extent but here's why I think people are dumb, or maybe misguided would be a better word. I really enjoy coffee, it starts my day off right and makes my day. Sure its cheaper to buy coffee and make it at home but that's a little splurge I give myself that I find well worth it. It's a relatively small expense so it's not a huge deal.

With many people, they buy things they shouldn't be buying and they are large ticket items. Also oftentimes these things don't even bring people joy, or they bring them happiness for a fleeting moment and then it's on to the next thing.

If you've always wanted a Mustang since you were 12 years old and your doing okay financially and you make a few sacrafices to buy it and it brings you a ton of joy then awesome.

I'll give you an example of what a lot of peopel do though. My gf's cousin was in Vegas recently and bought a pair of those red bottom shoes for $1800. She was super excited through the weekend, ever since they've sat in her closet because she has nowhere to wear them and says they are uncomfortable. Huge waste of money and a really dumb purchas.e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance