Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
So true. The person who drives a car into the ground, might spend hundreds of dollars a month in model trains, guns, or some other hobby. They shift the money from their car to their hobby. People with less or no hobbies maybe can justify buying a new car often and getting the top trim.

Also, I think there is a sense of pride of buying a car and having it last forever like "look what I did. Not too many people do this anymore".
I guess my other hobby is paying off student loans

That's a good point, though. Some people value their cars more than others. My sister really just doesn't like anything that's "used", it gives her bad juju or something. She leases a new car every couple years and even had a new construction house built. She certainly spends more to do this, but she really values having new things. Meanwhile I'm "proud" of driving cars that are over 10 years old and changing my own oil and what not, and I think my early 1950s house is just a tad on the "too new" side for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Cars are a horrible “investment.” I bought my first car used, and my SUV used, and my MINI used, but my last car I bought new because it was a special edition car. Still only $30,000. And if I’m buying used when my net worth is way over $1M, you gotta be doing something wrong buying new if you’re struggling to put $10K into checking lol. It’s just a horrible waste of money to buy cars new. Heck buying used is still usually painful when you go to sell. I hate cars, I can’t think of anything else where I’ve flat out lost as much money even buying used and selling down the road. Cars are a true money sink.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
So true. The person who drives a car into the ground, might spend hundreds of dollars a month in model trains, guns, or some other hobby. They shift the money from their car to their hobby. People with less or no hobbies maybe can justify buying a new car often and getting the top trim.

Also, I think there is a sense of pride of buying a car and having it last forever like "look what I did. Not too many people do this anymore".
By far the worst thing about cars is that they tank in value hard if you buy them new. Other hobbies like guns, watches, coins or bullion are not nearly as rough if you like to flip stuff. Of course some guys go way overboard with that crap too.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Yeah that's the problem, cars basically never appreciate in value unless they're very valuable, classic models, and you don't drive them. My friend buys and sells motorcycles and guns and things like that, he usually gets more than he paid. He's really frugal (cheap lol) and he finds the best deals, then uses them for a bit, sells them for a profit, and moves on.

I've spent a ton of money on my Star Wars collection, but it has appreciated at a better rate than the stock market. I sold about 40% of the collection two years ago for $28,000. Those items I sold cost me maybe $10,000. I held most of the most valuable items, too, so whatever I sold was the tip of the iceberg. Not every hobby is a waste of money. Some can be quite lucrative. Enjoy the stuff for a while, then take a profit.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:38 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Cars are a horrible “investment.” I bought my first car used, and my SUV used, and my MINI used, but my last car I bought new because it was a special edition car.
A car is not an investment at all. It's a vehicle to get you from point A to point B because we live in a society that requires a car. .

Unless you drive a 7 figure Bugatti Veyron or Ferrari F50, your car is not an investment.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Cars are a horrible “investment.” I bought my first car used, and my SUV used, and my MINI used, but my last car I bought new because it was a special edition car. Still only $30,000. And if I’m buying used when my net worth is way over $1M, you gotta be doing something wrong buying new if you’re struggling to put $10K into checking lol. It’s just a horrible waste of money to buy cars new. Heck buying used is still usually painful when you go to sell. I hate cars, I can’t think of anything else where I’ve flat out lost as much money even buying used and selling down the road. Cars are a true money sink.
Why do you look at them as an investment? Cars are not an investment unless you are talking antiques, rarities and high end cars. The cars you see in Barrett-Jackson auctions are investments but 99% of the vehicles on the road are a means for transportation and not investments. They get you from point A to B, maybe C and D if you run multiple errands. Unless you flip cars within a year, the off the lot depreciation issue is moot.

I agree that some cars are a money sink. Especially used cars. As cars get used they need replacement parts. My used car has gone through four tires, a door cable, a headlight (a relatively small cost in all actuality) a bad tire sensor, a power window battery, an evap issue and a few misfired leading to timing readings on the check engine light. And this was all in the 15k miles I have put on it in one year, five months. Yep, I got nickeled and dimed by the used cars and others have too. Not saying you wouldn't through new cars, but it is a lower probability.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:46 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why do you look at them as an investment?
He doesn't. Hence the quotation marks " ". That implies he doesn't view a car as such, even though many other people do....or at least use the word investment, often to justify buying something they can't really afford.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,693,373 times
Dave Ramsey has never said anything new, most is common sense that many financially responsible people have done for years before Dave Ramsey became known.

I don't agree with everything he says either. I don't agree with his credit card ideas for example. I feel he caters mostly to those who are not responsible and therefore in debt already or those with less knowledge about finances and those with spending problems to begin with. If what he advises is for those people then I do agree with the credit card and other ideas but otherwise seem silly.

Everyone knows a new vehicle will depreciate the second you leave the lot and even more within the first few years so there is major negatives to buying new. He didn't first discover this. I personally will never buy a brand new car, decided that long ago but do I think a financially stable reasonable person could buy a new car with less net worth.. yes I do. My parents bought a brand new car 7 years ago and they have much less net worth but are financially stable and have already paid it off in full. People who are responsible with their money, worked hard to earn it and are self sufficient have every right to decide how they spend it and what is important and not important to them. Everyone, again who are financially stable, has to decide what is a waste of money to them vs what they want to purchase. Vacations or buying alcohol could be a waste of money to some and not to others. If someone has the means and wants to purchase a new vechile, why shouldn't they?

I'm obviously not a Dave Ramsey follower, but I didn't even know who the guy was until 2 years ago when we got internet for the first time.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
^^This is my thought exactly. And not just the cost, but the insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why do you look at them as an investment?
OK, people, give him a break. That's why he used the quotation marks around the word. He doesn't look at them an investment. But other people do, often using the term "investment" (see those quote marks again!) as a rationalization to spend more than they need or can reasonably afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance