Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM

335 posts, read 356,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
An unskilled wage earner with very little net worth can afford a new Kia with the kind of terms now being offered.
Please God no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Sorry. A tad OFF.
Better get more information on that IRA or 401K.

Sadly, probably few or none will actually spend the time to view the entire video.
The variables are so large that any discussion is, by nature, very general.

Does the buyer have a family? How many children?
How old is the buyer?
What skills does the buyer have?

When I talk IRA, I am talking about someone 10 years or so into their working life. Most of the money in retirement accounts is made by the compounding of investment returns. Anyone who wants to retire decently - and is a couple (with a family) needs to have a couple million in net worth by the time they reach retirement age.....less or more depending on income, inheritance, whether their kids pay them back for some stuff, etc.

There are no hard and fast rules due to the variables involved.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
...And yet, I think if someone came on his show and said, "I want to pay $25K cash for a new car" and didn't have that net worth, he might not say no...

He doesn't tell people to sell cars they own money on unless its a complete monster to their income/budget situation. If someone goes on the show and asks that, assuming they aren't making $24K and driving a $40,000 car, his next question is "Do you like the car?"

And honestly, every financial adviser type that I've ever heard, from celebrity Financial advisers to life insurance salesmen to the Edward Jones/Fidelity whatever guy on the corner, says something similar, although they don't paint into a corner like DR says...Typically they say, "Buy a used, few year old car and drive the wheels off" or something of the sort.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
But my point is that if your life depends on what you can contribute to an IRA, then you should be living in a tent and riding a bike or bus to work. So you can fully fund that IRA!

Life is a mix of spending for today versus saving for tomorrow. Blanket generalizations of “new cars are a waste of money” fail to account that any car is a waste of money, just ride a bike or take the bus if a car puts you in the poor house.
Rocko, I don't know your age, but this is so very wise. I've spent my whole life planning for the future, and now I'm almost 59 and I am ready to start enjoying life.

I lived with an unpleasant man for 10 years. My husband had us living under an "austerity plan" where we were going save every single penny for his retirement. He died (by his own hand) weeks before his planned retirement.

Life is screwed up, hard-scrabble and stressful as hell. If you can find a little joy in some Detroit Iron (or Japanese plastic), I say go for it.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:15 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Dave is good for credit card debt reduction. Outside of that, most of his advice is not very good.

THANK YOU.

These guys get the bully pulpit for a few months (or years) and they think they're Life Coaches™.

There's so much more to life than dollars and cents.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
The thing to keep in mind about financial advice, is that its like dietary advice.

The right thing for a 50 year old obese pre-diabetic is different than a 30 year old that runs 30+miles a week. Neither of them SHOULD drink three bottles of wine, but one of them can eat a lot of dietary fat and carbs, the other needs to absolutely watch it...

Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
To some, cars are a hobby and dont mind spending the money. Can you put a value on what makes you happy if you can afford it?

My wife and I dont have any children, nor do we plan on having any. That alone frees up lots of $ to do what we enjoy. For this reason I lease a new car every 3yrs. Is it financially beneficial for me? No, but neither are lots of things. I laugh at those who criticize my decision to “keep throwing money away” on leases every 3yr years, yet the same type of guy preaching to me has a 2 pack a day cigarette habit and drinks a case of beer per week.

I do what makes me happy so long as it’s within my budget. I dont plan on working myself to death only to leave my money behind when I die for someone else to enjoy.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
$25k in your green dollars available. Buy a car for $25k cash you have a car and $0 dollars left.

Borrow $25k at 2.5% and invest the 25K get a 4-5% return and you have a car and a few bucks.

His advice is generalized chicken scratch.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
To some, cars are a hobby and dont mind spending the money. Can you put a value on what makes you happy if you can afford it?

My wife and I dont have any children, nor do we plan on having any. That alone frees up lots of $ to do what we enjoy. For this reason I lease a new car every 3yrs. Is it financially beneficial for me? No, but neither are lots of things. I laugh at those who criticize my decision to “keep throwing money away” on leases every 3yr years, yet the same type of guy preaching to me has a 2 pack a day cigarette habit and drinks a case of beer per week.

I do what makes me happy so long as it’s within my budget. I dont plan on working myself to death only to leave my money behind when I die for someone else to enjoy.
There is indeed no taking it with you. Enjoy some of it.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:53 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$25k in your green dollars available. Buy a car for $25k cash you have a car and $0 dollars left.

Borrow $25k at 2.5% and invest the 25K get a 4-5% return and you have a car and a few bucks.

His advice is generalized chicken scratch.
Or just buy a car for $10K or $15K.

Not saying I agree with DR, just playing devil's advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance