Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
out of all the tax money you send to the government; how much of it do you have any say over where it gets spent? you would probably say that very little is under your control.
I would say almost all of it is out of my control - and the government is entirely controlled by Bolsheviks at this point. Taxation without representation.

We need to literally burn this government to the ground and start over...it is that bad at this point. They've been lying to Americans for over 50 years with impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,663 times
You shouldn't be able to take out a loan for a liberal arts degree. Or it should be capped at a certain dollar amount. College has become playtime for young adults instead of a path to success.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I would say almost all of it is out of my control - and the government is entirely controlled by Bolsheviks at this point. Taxation without representation.

We need to literally burn this government to the ground and start over...it is that bad at this point. They've been lying to Americans for over 50 years with impunity.
the point is that of all the things government does with your money that you get no say in; the cost of subsidizing student loans shouldnt bother you so much or give you any special rights to hold it over people who benefit from it. if it bothers you; the government is to blame not some 17 year kid who thought it was the right way to pay for college (because they were trained that way).

Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
out of all the tax money you send to the government; how much of it do you have any say over where it gets spent? you would probably say that very little is under your control. how much of it is spent in ways that you support? so im not sure why you believe that of all the taxes you pay; this tiny fraction is sooooo important to you and you should be allowed to hold other people hostage over it. most of the taxes you spend gets wasted on stuff and is never paid back. at least with student loans its going towards education and is usually paid back.
Quote:
the point is that of all the things government does with your money that you get no say in; the cost of subsidizing student loans shouldnt bother you so much or give you any special rights to hold it over people who benefit from it. if it bothers you; the government is to blame not some 17 year kid who thought it was the right way to pay for college (because they were trained that way).
Public school teachers are agents of the left-wing government; they are the ones that have manipulated young children's minds into believing if they aren't going to a 4-year they are worthless.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Public school teachers are agents of the left-wing government; they are the ones that have manipulated young children's minds into believing if they aren't going to a 4-year they are worthless.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:14 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
you are talking about 17 year old kids and a system that has been designed to take advantage of them. i think you know that what is happening to them isnt right and they dont have the understanding of it to make a good decision. i do think a lot of the parents should have known better and helped guide the kids better. although, the overall situation caused by the government made it difficult for everyone to make a good decision because of what they did to the cost of education across the board.

so ok, hold them accountable. but dont give the debt any special treatment; it should be treated the same as any other debt in a bankruptcy. if the lenders arent given special protection; they will have to be more careful in their lending.
I would ok with that. As long as their degree is rescinded as well.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I would ok with that. As long as their degree is rescinded as well.
that makes absolutely no sense. im sure you are well aware that it makes no sense so I am wondering why you are acting irrationally on this matter. why should this debt be treated differently than other debt?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
/////////5

Just a thought here...If I went to a bank and said, "I want to borrow $20,000 for a car," they would ask what kind of car and its mileage and year before I got the loan. If I said, "Its a 2017 Toyota Camry with 12K miles on it, I'd likely get the loan." If I said, "I want to borrow $20,000 on a 1997 Coupe De Ville with 25 inch rims and a bangin sound system," they'd tell me to find another bank, or at the very least, give me very strict terms.

And I likely could find a bank that would lend on the old Cadillac, but you can be sure I would have a lot more skin in it, and the deal wouldn't be nearly as lucrative. And of course, the bank would go in with the full knowledge that I could wreck it and walk away, BK, they repo it, etc...

Its one thing to loan someone money for medical or nursing school. Its one thing to loan a few grand for barber school or medical assistant program or something.

So why have we coded it into our civil code that a banker need not worry lending to a med student as they do someone with a GED that's been oversold the benefits and earning potential of a Medical Assistant at a For Profit college?

The Medical Student is an example of the worst of the worst behavior on the students behalf, really, fraudulent behavior if you could prove it.
If Betsy De Voss can help it, these scammy schools will continue to make money off poor. unsuspecting students who believe the certificate or degree they get is the ticket to a better life.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
that makes absolutely no sense. im sure you are well aware that it makes no sense so I am wondering why you are acting irrationally on this matter. why should this debt be treated differently than other debt?
It makes perfect sense. It is equivalent to repossesing property when one defaults on a loan.

To allow one to keep the degree that the loan paid for, while defaulting on the loan, is irrational.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It makes perfect sense. It is equivalent to repossesing property when one defaults on a loan.

To allow one to keep the degree that the loan paid for, while defaulting on the loan, is irrational.
you cant change the fact that the person received an education. that degree isnt an asset that can be taken and used elsewhere. its just some silly punitive measure that no adult would bother pursuing. you can only repossess items if the loan is secured against that item, student loans arent secured by the degree and it wouldnt make any sense for that to be the case.

however, none of these issues would really be up for discussion if the government would get itself out of the student loan business. its interesting how some people feel personally righteous being really aggressive because they somehow perceive that they have rights to enforce student loans because of the government's involvement. its a strange form of a mental control issue. oh you took government money so now i have a say in your education and loan terms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance