Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
They highlighted the Korean business class lounge at JFK because it's one of the only business class or first class lounges that is offered other than the same lounge at NRT.

Priority Pass is okay, but only if you're a solo traveler and don't mind going to second rate lounges - to have to pay $29 for a guest really diminishes the benefit IMO, and a simple search of the Priority Pass site will show you that you don't have access to any good first class lounges. I went to a couple of first class lounges in HKG and thought they were quite nice, but there's literally no way that they're available with PP.

I love Centurion lounges, but since everyone with a card can enter, they're getting overcrowded and less desirable in my eyes. If the primary purpose of a "lounge" is to relax before your flight, then being overcrowded to the point where they have to institute a time limitation is defeating the purpose. The DFW Centurion has always had fantastic food, and combine that and free adult drinks, and no real place to relax (other than the massage time if you can actually get one scheduled in your layover window), it's more of a "club" than a "lounge".
The crowding in the Centurion lounges really have become a bigger issue. I’m not sure how they cut it down other than the 2 hour prior to departure time limit though. I had heard that they put that restriction in place only when the lounge hits 80% capacity. Even crowded though the food is usually pretty good and the beverages as well certainly don’t hurt

The priority pass from Amex allows two guest at no charge, they had to change it to match the Chase sapphire reserve

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 06-20-2018 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The biggest headache is probably scheduling the GE interview. It wasn't an issue for us, but if you don't live near an interview location, I could see it being a pain. At some locations, the available hours and/or backlog could also make things less convenient.
I looked into getting GE in January. The closest interview center was a four hour drive one way, had no available appointments until May, and didn't take walk-ins. The next two closest centers didn't have appointments until April, and didn't take walk-ins. None of the options for an interview in ATL matched with when I was going to be connecting there in the first half of this year.

At which point, I punted to the Pre option, where you can sign up at hundreds of different places across the country because it piggy backs on the existing system that does background checks for truckers that want to haul hazmat loads. Did the online application on a Thursday night, did a walk in the next day at a location an hour away (in a small strip mall next to a Rite Aid), got the e-mails with our know traveler numbers the following Monday at around 11pm, and the Spousal Unit put it in his Delta profile and all was good to go when he got on a plane four days later.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I looked into getting GE in January. The closest interview center was a four hour drive one way, had no available appointments until May, and didn't take walk-ins. The next two closest centers didn't have appointments until April, and didn't take walk-ins. None of the options for an interview in ATL matched with when I was going to be connecting there in the first half of this year.

At which point, I punted to the Pre option, where you can sign up at hundreds of different places across the country because it piggy backs on the existing system that does background checks for truckers that want to haul hazmat loads. Did the online application on a Thursday night, did a walk in the next day at a location an hour away (in a small strip mall next to a Rite Aid), got the e-mails with our know traveler numbers the following Monday at around 11pm, and the Spousal Unit put it in his Delta profile and all was good to go when he got on a plane four days later.
That will certainly make it tougher, and especially in Florida. I did my initial interview at MCO when they first released the program, so I know the appointments will be pushed back longer for my renewal this year. I am signing up next week for my renewal since it expires by the end of the year. That should give me enough time to find a suitable interview location.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The biggest headache is probably scheduling the GE interview. It wasn't an issue for us, but if you don't live near an interview location, I could see it being a pain. At some locations, the available hours and/or backlog could also make things less convenient.
GE is extremely nice if you travel internationally. That being said, if you don't, you're not missing out on anything over TSA Pre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance