Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 07:07 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not really. you can sell a bond and have full liquidity in cash crunch or when new opportunity presents itself . you can't sell the living room.

People sell houses every day.

Retirees in high COL places sell their expensive paid-for homes and downsize all the time. All that home equity creates a very nice kicker to their retirement nest egg. The C-D retirement board is littered with "I'm selling and moving" threads. They still have all the equity in that downsized house in case they have the life event where they can't stay in their home.

Tons of retirees hit that life event where they can't stay in their home, sell the house, and move to assisted living. Wander over to the C-D caregiving board and read about all of those.

These aren't 30 year olds trying to create wealth looking to jump on that next Amazon or Bitcoin. They're retirees spending down their wealth with their nest egg largely in safe investments. A big chunk of it is often locked up in their home.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I feel the use of a $1 Million target number for retirement savings is both beneficial and detrimental.

Beneficial because it will (or should) cause people to realize that saving for retirement is important and needs to be started early. The amount of safe annual deductions from this balance may be in the appropriate range of income for many people.

Detrimental for a number of reasons.
First, the size of the number may cause lower earning people, who will also have low SS benefits in the future, to resign themselves that they can never save enough and therefore never try to save.
Second, this value is too high for people who have happily lived their lives on more meager earnings in a low COL area, and plan to continue doing so in retirement.
Third, this value is too low for people who have lived an expensive life style in a high COL area and plan to continue doing so in retirement.
Fourth, this value assumes the retirees will receive no pension benefits. A $40K annual pension is roughly equivalent to earnings from a $1M retirement nest egg.

$1 million household net worth at age 60 to 64 not counting home equity is 84th percentile. The vast majority of people fall short of that.

Citation: https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/

Quote:
A household led by a 60-64 year old with a net worth ignoring primary home equity of $1,000,000.00 was in net worth centile 84% in 2016. This centile ranged from $948,997.40 to $1,022,281.48.

We've been through this many times here. You adjust your lifestyle to your income and cash flow, not the other way around. All the personal finance-oriented articles do it backwards.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 AM

107,141 posts, read 109,518,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
People sell houses every day.

Retirees in high COL places sell their expensive paid-for homes and downsize all the time. All that home equity creates a very nice kicker to their retirement nest egg. The C-D retirement board is littered with "I'm selling and moving" threads. They still have all the equity in that downsized house in case they have the life event where they can't stay in their home.

Tons of retirees hit that life event where they can't stay in their home, sell the house, and move to assisted living. Wander over to the C-D caregiving board and read about all of those.

These aren't 30 year olds trying to create wealth looking to jump on that next Amazon or Bitcoin. They're retirees spending down their wealth with their nest egg largely in safe investments. A big chunk of it is often locked up in their home.
yes they sell and then , they are no longer consuming that house . that has nothing to do with what i said about living in it and consuming it yourself .

when the day comes you sell you are no longer consuming that house . then it becomes no different than any other asset once you have cash in hand and it is liquid . but until then it is still not liquid , is an expense and is no proxy for a bond .

Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 AM

736 posts, read 458,433 times
Actually I think the correct amount to save retirement is $2,538,926.37*

A livable retirement is easy to achieve if you follow the advice of the experts:
Listen to David Bach and stop drinking lattes-this will account for a million or so.
Take the money you're not spending on lattes and invest it with Dave Ramsey endorsed brokers and you'll earn 12% on mutual funds. Be sure to tithe!
Plan to work until you're in your 70's like Suze Orman advises.
Live in shack w/o running water or electricity and live on scraps and all the other Mr. Money Mustache things...live the first 35 yrs of your life like a poor person so you can quit working and spend the rest of your life living like a poor person.

(*Don't scrimp on that $0.37. It could make all the difference.)

Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
One thing is true: if you don't have a million in assets when you retire, you are going to learn to live on whatever you have.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,425,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And I wholeheartedly agree, because I will have nowhere near $1 million by the time I get to retirement age.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/call-bs-n...173942502.html
Here's an eye-opener: the co-pays for just my retired father's prescriptions come to nearly $700/month. I wish I was kidding.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:31 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I don’t think the sky is falling. The data supports this from many angles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewb.../#671f681cda2e

“Other research on long-term care costs from economists at the RAND Corporation finds that – in good part to due to Medicaid and Medicare footing the bill – the average retiree household spends only $7,300 on long-term care over its entire retirement. Ninety-five percent of households spend less than $47,000 on total long-term care costs throughout retirement. Long-term care insurance makes sense for many retirees, but the fact that bankruptcies are lower among retirees than among working-age households tells us that truly catastrophic health costs are relatively rate.”
These numbers appear to be averages. They mean nothing if you or your spouse find yourself needing care for an extended period of time. I have personally known a number of elderly people like this.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:32 PM

40,996 posts, read 49,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Actually I think the correct amount to save retirement is $2,538,926.37*

(*Don't scrimp on that $0.37. It could make all the difference.)
That's exactly the amount I had until the divorce, now I'm down to $1,269,463.18. Being generous, I gave her the extra .01$ and the dog.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But some of those nursing homes paid for by medicare are pretty awful. I've been in them, so I'm not just saying that.
Yes, that's the case here. The nursing homes are awful (dirty, poorly staffed). I don't want to live my last years like that if I can help it.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have no differentiation here . all homes have limited medicaid beds .

the best way to do it is to pay your way in to a nice one , which they will gladly take you in and most will take medicaid assignment after 2 years here .

we have a policy that will pay for 3 years .
The nicest places don't accept Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance