Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:41 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestorWithQuestions View Post
I have another thread here about a 1 1/2 year old bill from a hospital for about $600. After 2 different collection agencies, this one is finally talking about 'intending to sent this to an attorney for small claims court'. While I'd love my day in court, I haven't found anyone that can / can't say I have a chance based on my arguments.

So then the question - has anyone had experience negotiating on a hospital bill thats 1 1/2 years old and with the 2nd collection agency?

One consolation I kinda forgot, but my son reminded me - the hospital won't get all of the money, the collection agency will get some. That made me feel better

Anyone know the cut the collection agency typically get? is it based on what % of the total dollars due they collect? I'd like to maximize their take vs. the hospital while minimizing how much I pay

After this long will they settle for 10c on the dollar? On a $600 bill, that's $60 and even I realize that's not likely.

Wonder if anyone has been in this situation and can comment on what they paid out as a percent of the original bill
If the $600 was a negotiated rate with your insurer, you have less leeway than if it was the hospital's rack rate charge.

Negotiated rate, I would say 50% would be a target settlement amount

Rack rate I'd put it at 10 - 20%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
1.5 years is not very old, so the value of the debt has not fallen anywhere close to what OP would like right now.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:58 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I am speechless.
Welcome to today's age of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 AM

49 posts, read 60,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Lol 'personal responsibility' means nothing when dealing with these health care mega corporations and collection agencies. The prior poster provided the best advice which is to tell them to pound sand. Over a $600 bill, no one is going to court, the legal fees of one day would significantly exceed that amount. It's all a game and the real sucker is the person that pays out of pocket for these vastly (power of 10) inflated medical costs. The system is built on inflated costs and usurious insurance payments. If you really wanted you could offer 200$ and they'd probably take it.

Now if this was $600 to a friend or relative that would be different but these are mega corporations that have no concept of fairness or morality.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If you ask for help from the medical profession then you are agreeing to pay for it. If you don't want to pay what they require, then ask a friend for help, or go without. Otherwise, try to move to a country with "free" medical coverage.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 AM

49 posts, read 60,587 times
Easier said than done to just 'go without' especially in an emergency. The costs incurred are absurdly inflated so it's not an equitable transaction. The industry is set up so virtually no one except retirees could pay out of pocket (at the expense of thier children's future). Crony capitalism has created this health care monster and you only do yourself a disservice by playing fair when the bigger, stronger opponent does not.

Don't mistake my opinion for condoning the system and what it takes to survive within it, but sadly it is the world we live in, at least in america. It's simply another form of strategic default, which i should remind you is perfectly legal.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:52 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Check the OP's other thread where the bill in question is described in more detail. It amounts to something akin to bait and switch.

The whole health are industry needs an overhaul in its billing practices. I look at my EOBs where the provider's charge is $X and the amount actually paid to them by the insurance company is 10% - 30% of $X.

They're trying to make their margin on the self-pays and with that they'll accept a certain amount of bad debt. It's their game right now, everyone else is just trying to figure out the rules.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:55 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
Lol 'personal responsibility' means nothing when dealing with these health care mega corporations and collection agencies. The prior poster provided the best advice which is to tell them to pound sand. Over a $600 bill, no one is going to court, the legal fees of one day would significantly exceed that amount. It's all a game and the real sucker is the person that pays out of pocket for these vastly (power of 10) inflated medical costs. The system is built on inflated costs and usurious insurance payments. If you really wanted you could offer 200$ and they'd probably take it.

Now if this was $600 to a friend or relative that would be different but these are mega corporations that have no concept of fairness or morality.
I believe the OP is the one who says he was too hungry when he signed the consent forms.

OP, this is between you and your insurance company and should have been resolved long ago. Now you are trying to stiff the doctor who did the test for you. Pay up, and next time make sure you know what your insurance company is going to pay before you have the test done.

Yes, the nonsense over in network and out of network and difference in payment between doing a procedure in one location rather than another needs to stop.

Many self pay patients can ask for a discount and get one. Ideally, everyone would pay the same price for the same service, but that would mean insured patients would pay more and self pay patients less.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:59 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
Easier said than done to just 'go without' especially in an emergency. The costs incurred are absurdly inflated so it's not an equitable transaction. The industry is set up so virtually no one except retirees could pay out of pocket (at the expense of thier children's future). Crony capitalism has created this health care monster and you only do yourself a disservice by playing fair when the bigger, stronger opponent does not.

Don't mistake my opinion for condoning the system and what it takes to survive within it, but sadly it is the world we live in, at least in america. It's simply another form of strategic default, which i should remind you is perfectly legal.
Wow. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. I think everyone here knows which part you are and your grammar is bad too.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:28 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Check the OP's other thread where the bill in question is described in more detail. It amounts to something akin to bait and switch.

The whole health are industry needs an overhaul in its billing practices. I look at my EOBs where the provider's charge is $X and the amount actually paid to them by the insurance company is 10% - 30% of $X.

They're trying to make their margin on the self-pays and with that they'll accept a certain amount of bad debt. It's their game right now, everyone else is just trying to figure out the rules.
I wish this was my scenario. My insurance allowed 97% of the charges for 3 stitches that costed over $7,000. Now I'm on the hook for $2600 OOP for 15 minutes with a medical assistant. I would of loved if they allowed 10-30% of the billed services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance