Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:19 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times

Advertisements

It's expensive to be poor

I agree, poor people are costing me a fortune !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 PM

494 posts, read 286,161 times
[quote=BLS2753;52652983]The problem is that one can lose the ability to have a checking account. Too many overdrafts, bounced checks, and failure to resolve a negative balance. Offenders are put into a national database that prevents them from opening a checking account. This is a driving force behind prepaid cards, and the sending of money through Walmart etc.[/QUOTE

I learned something new from you. I didn't know that someone could lose the ability to have a checking account. I can't imagine living without one. That was going to be my suggestion instead of going to Walmarts, etc.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I didn't see any details from the OP about his situation. That means everyone is going entirely on assumptions meaning there apparently are no acceptable reasons? They are all excuses? Until I hear details I see no reason to condemn and berate him.
The OP is not poor but was starting a conversation on the topic with his observations and experiences in trying to help a friend.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I didn't see any details from the OP about his situation. That means everyone is going entirely on assumptions meaning there apparently are no acceptable reasons? They are all excuses? Until I hear details I see no reason to condemn and berate him.
Sorry, I sort of combined 2 posts, what the OP said, and then someone else posted an article and I was commenting on both. I personally get tired of almost always sympathetic articles that almost never address people's self sabotaging behaviors.

The thing with these things is we all pretty much cherry pick evidence to support what we already believe. Pretty much everyone does, so no amount of evidence ever convinces one of anything.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 07-30-2018 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 08:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's expensive to be poor

I agree, poor people are costing me a fortune !
I really doubt that, whatever it is that you're saying.

I doubt that low paying people who do services for you all day long are dragging on your economy.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Bluebird from Amex and Walmart has no fees unless you send money. Can do direct deposit or deposit cash at the register. Typically the people getting hit with fees are Latino sending it back to relatives in Mexico.

But, hey, for those who no longer can hold a bank account, screw up enough and maybe you'll figure out how to spend your money without stealing from the bank. Who am I kidding, this is America, it's those evil bankstas that steal from the poor! It's never their fault!

Why do we make so many excuses for people here? What happened to personal responsibility.
My reading of your post, was that you thought opening of a checking account was a solution readily available to anyone. When usually a checking account is part of the collateral damage that goes along with credit and debt issues.

I don't see how you think I'm making excuses or taking sides here. I'm merely explaining that many of these folks can't get checking accounts.

Take your agenda up with someone else. I'm sure there will be many challengers further along, in what will prove to be a lengthy thread. I don't waste my time with such shenanigans.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I doubt that low paying people who do services for you all day long are dragging on your economy.
It's actually those who won't work who are more of a drag. I think most people have respect for the working poor. But those who have kids out of wedlock as a substitute for working, those who hang out all day (and often drink or use drugs--and there are plenty of them in my neighborhood) don't get sympathy or respect.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:41 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What the number of circulated banknotes per capita has to do with being poor without bank account??
The lack of banknotes is directly related to the ease by which people can send money to each other electronically without troublesome fees.

In the USA if you do a little job for someone they give you banknotes. If they were to pass you electronic credits on a phone wallet, you could forward them to someone else who could easily spend them without paying all kinds of transfer fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The OP is not poor but was starting a conversation on the topic with his observations and experiences in trying to help a friend.
Yes, my friend had massive organ failure and lost her ability to make a living. When she had a checking account, I could drive a mile to the local branch of her bank and make deposits. When she lost her home and ended up on the street she eventually lost her bank account.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The lack of banknotes is directly related to the ease by which people can send money to each other electronically without troublesome fees.

In the USA if you do a little job for someone they give you banknotes. If they were to pass you electronic credits on a phone wallet, you could forward them to someone else who could easily spend them without paying all kinds of transfer fees.
^^The Orwellian state in action, whereby all transactions are monitored and recorded and where everyone will eventually be microchipped. You didn't do what Big Brother wants? Oops, can't buy or sell with a deactivated chip. The technology to do this already exists. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:57 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Really? Without poor people, we wouldn't need to have such high taxes, so they are a huge drag on the middle class and upper classes both. They use the most social services from police to unpaid medical bills at hospitals to welfare and food stamp programs and even jails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance