Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
A lot of people are doing what they call house hacking. Instead of buying a single family home you buy 2 to 4 units and live in one and rent out the others. The advantage is owner occupied financing with the caveat you must live there one year. Often the rent from the others will cover your whole housing cost.
You can also buy one that needs work and fix it up to increase its value.
After a year you could move out and buy another identical situation and live in it. Rinse and repeat as able.
Eventually you will have a nice rental portfolio while almost living for free.
I had a friend who did this with a 4 plex. He picked up another 4 plex a few years later.
6 years later he's in his mid 30s and retired living off of his real estate.
Ruth is onto something here. In one form or another if you can create rental income where you live it will greatly help your wealth building efforts.
To be clear, he isn't retired, he's the owner and manager of a property rental company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
To be clear, he isn't retired, he's the owner and manager of a property rental company.
Depends on your definition of retirement.The problem is too many people assume you have to be managing the property yourself.
He has managers and virtual assistants running everything. Being that he isn't even in the the United States more than a few months out of the year he would have a difficult time managing them himself. He has outsourced everything. He has 4 assistants in the Philippines he pays $4 an hour to manage his properties with orders not to call him. He developed an operations manual and empowers them to use that or figure out the solution themselves.
He is in Columbia right now. Last year he spent most of his time raising money for orphanages in Vietnam nam and traveling throughout Asia .
Another friend in his mid 30's has several rentals and no longer works has spent the last two years studying martial arts full time in Asia. He to has hired out all management.
I don't have a job and I consider myself retired with rentals. But some people have said that because I spend an 20 to 24 hours per year checking my bank accounts and doing book keeping for my taxes at the end of the year that I am not retired. Other people will say I am retired. My manager now uses software that generates reports where if I wasn't so curious in analytics for myself I could just take her year end report and take it to my cpa and cut that down to maybe a few hours each year.
So what's you definition of retired?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:03 AM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
Just to be clear there are liabilities to renting, so ensure you have the proper insurance coverage to protect yourself. Additionally once you start moving on to multiple properties, an LLC setup to own each is a safer path.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM

654 posts, read 424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
Just to be clear there are liabilities to renting, so ensure you have the proper insurance coverage to protect yourself. Additionally once you start moving on to multiple properties, an LLC setup to own each is a safer path.

Setting up LLCs for each property is a real pain and can be expensive, it also really does not add much protection (see the alter-ego principle) . You're better off getting a big umbrella policy, cheap and easy to do.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
it definitely appears that all of my landlords and past landlords (offices) have set up unique companies for each property. im not familiar with all the benefits (i can guess a couple) but i have to believe they are worthwhile given the fact that they all have done it.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
Setting up LLCs for each property is a real pain and can be expensive, it also really does not add much protection (see the alter-ego principle) . You're better off getting a big umbrella policy, cheap and easy to do.
I have heard of this alter ego thing. Is there any statistics as to how often an LLC is pierced? My understanding is mostly because of extreme negligence on the creator or being improperly set up at creation.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:52 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Check out the MMM forums - many people are retiring at your age with over a million.
Would you mind explaining what the "MMM forums" are and where to access them?

Old 08-15-2018, 03:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Would you mind explaining what the "MMM forums" are and where to access them?
MMM stands for Mr Money Mustache. Just Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance