Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
spend $1 to get $0.37 back, tough to get rich doing that.
One of the many facets of how to become rich, is controlling your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Controlling taxes involves maximizing the value of expenditures you would otherwise make. Spending money for the sake of getting a percentage of those dollars back in taxes is foolhardy.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Controlling taxes involves maximizing the value of expenditures you would otherwise make. Spending money for the sake of getting a percentage of those dollars back in taxes is foolhardy.
The last time I paid income taxes was in 1985. I file taxes every year, and I have been audited by the IRS three times, yet it has been many years since I actually paid money to the IRS.

So go ahead and act like you are teaching me something.

When was the last time that you paid income taxes?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:29 AM

Paying zero taxes without knowing the economic situation isn't impressive, in fact it may not be smart as it potentially misses out on having some income taxed at the lowest bracket.

I've paid taxes every year for the last 35 I've been working and have no complaints about it. I've made a good living and have been able to save a fairly sizable amount for retirement.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:16 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That's a load of crap. My husband is a high earner and makes 100% in salary, bonus and stock options. It is taxed at ordinary income tax rates and there is NOTHING.....N-O-T-H-I-N-G you can do to mitigate it. It's on a W-2.
You can contribute to 401k or ira. He can probably put money in hsa or flexible spending account. He can time exercising his stock options and selling to offset loses. Many more options if you start a side business, decide to invest in real estate, begin gifting to heirs earlier. You could also have more children or take in a grandchild(but probably not!).

Old 08-26-2018, 06:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
How does the SALT deduction limit of 10G work if a couple files separate returns? Does each get 10G?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:22 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Default SALT deduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
How does the SALT deduction limit of 10G work if a couple files separate returns? Does each get 10G?
Nope , $5000 each.
See https://www.irs.gov/individuals/step...xt-years-taxes

"Your deduction of state and local income, sales, and property taxes is limited to a combined, total deduction of $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately"

Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Nope , $5000 each.
See https://www.irs.gov/individuals/step...xt-years-taxes

"Your deduction of state and local income, sales, and property taxes is limited to a combined, total deduction of $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately"
Thanks - but what if not married, but joint tenants?

Old 08-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Thanks - but what if not married, but joint tenants?
“Joint tenants” isn’t a filing status, you’re either married filing jointly, married filing separately or single.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
W2 earners are not typically what is meant by "wealthy" on this forum. Your husband is just another poor sucker making other people rich.
W-2 earners can make a lot of money in professional positions. What is your definition of wealthy?

Quote:
W-2 earning can be lessened by charity giving, medical expenses, educational expenses and by business losses.
Nope, not necessarily. Medical expenses need to be 10% of your AGI. We could never come close to that. With the doubling of the standard deduction, we would have to be giving a lot of $$ to make the charitable deductions anymore. You are going to see a big decrease in the charitable giving next year. We do not have a business and we do not have educational expenses that are deductible. It's just a myth that high earners can deduct everything. I know all of you people want to think high earners pay no taxes, but it's just flat out wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How will most people do well? A TEMPORARY 2% isn't going to change much. Studies show that among regular people (not wealthy), those making over $75k will benefit the most. The average US worker makes about $35k.

The truly wealthy will make out even better.
Well, let's just start with the fact that the people who are paying the taxes in the first place are higher earners. Sooooo...it's seems logical they would get a tax cut. But many in blue states won't get a tax cut at all. 43 percent of the people pay ZERO federal income taxes. It's not high earners. It's the bottom of the scale.

Quote:
Wrong again. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
You can contribute to 401k or ira. He can probably put money in hsa or flexible spending account. He can time exercising his stock options and selling to offset loses. Many more options if you start a side business, decide to invest in real estate, begin gifting to heirs earlier. You could also have more children or take in a grandchild(but probably not!).
We can do all the things that everyone else does with regard to 401k and HSA. Most deductions phase out over certain income levels. If you don't believe me, google 'tax deductions phaseouts on high earners'. The left in this country has successfully convinced your that wealthy people are all tax cheats. There is no way to cheat if your income is all on a W-2. (Not that I would try anyway). I don't cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance