Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

I've been in the 800's for well over a year, and was 848 last month. Just got my Discover statement and they gave the FICO as 781. ???????

Last time my score went that low, I had just put an $840 vet bill on my Discover (that got paid in full before the next statement came out). That was in April 2016 - I've been in the 800's ever since.

I have no loans, as my student loans were *finally* paid off in July. I have 6 bills to pay every month - rent, renter's and auto insurance, cell phone, cable/Internet, and National Grid (electric and gas). All get paid on time if not early. My credit card had a ZERO balance on the August 19 statement AND was in fact paid off in full last week. I haven't paid interest on that card in over 2 years, ever even though it gets used every month for one thing or another.

I take a great deal of pride in the fact that I am debt-free and my bills all get paid every single month, so this really rankles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
781 is still a great score! I thought I read that those credit card FICO's are not really that accurate anyways. I get a FICO score from my Chase credit cards and one from my Citi credit card, and they are not the same, maybe within 30 or so points of one another. I would take that credit card FICO with a grain of salt. Maybe something has fallen off your credit report? Did you cancel/close out any credit cards around 10 years ago? Who knows, it might go back up to 800 and something next month. Just breathe, everything will be OK!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
do you have an account with creditkarma? if not, you should. they do a little evaluation on your credit report that may help you catch any red flags. my credit score has taken a beating lately due to a high credit card balance (i used a 0% intro promotion and am paying the minimum). now i see that i got a derogatory comment from an $82 medical bill that i didnt even know about. so i am handling that. but i wouldnt have known if i didnt have a creditkarma account to keep an eye on things.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've been in the 800's for well over a year, and was 848 last month. Just got my Discover statement and they gave the FICO as 781. ???????

Last time my score went that low, I had just put an $840 vet bill on my Discover (that got paid in full before the next statement came out). That was in April 2016 - I've been in the 800's ever since.

I have no loans, as my student loans were *finally* paid off in July. I have 6 bills to pay every month - rent, renter's and auto insurance, cell phone, cable/Internet, and National Grid (electric and gas). All get paid on time if not early. My credit card had a ZERO balance on the August 19 statement AND was in fact paid off in full last week. I haven't paid interest on that card in over 2 years, ever even though it gets used every month for one thing or another.

I take a great deal of pride in the fact that I am debt-free and my bills all get paid every single month, so this really rankles.
discover is not a comprehensive fico score . in fact it is not comparable in numbers either .

it is only a fico 8 bank card score and uses a different scale that has a high of 900 not 850 like comprehensive fico scores ..

it weights only credit cards heavy and little of anything else .

citi and amex are the same fico 8 score . in comparison to an actual consumer fico score you can be off by 50-100 points

Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
781 is still a great score! I thought I read that those credit card FICO's are not really that accurate anyways. I get a FICO score from my Chase credit cards and one from my Citi credit card, and they are not the same, maybe within 30 or so points of one another. I would take that credit card FICO with a grain of salt. Maybe something has fallen off your credit report? Did you cancel/close out any credit cards around 10 years ago? Who knows, it might go back up to 800 and something next month. Just breathe, everything will be OK!
a discover score of 781 is good but not great in comparison to an actual comprehensive fico score . discover uses fico 8 which uses a different scale which has a high of 900 not 850 . it also weeds out many things not credit card related .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-20-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Was going to suggest Credit Karma also. You get a weekly update and it tells you why the score changed.

Normally I would tell you to ignore the Discover score, but given recent events, you may want to dig a little deeper. Might be a good time to order your 3 free credit reports.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 AM

the fico bank card scores are very very heavy credit card oriented . in fact they are actually what are called bank card scores not comprehensive fico scores .. tiny changes in anything card related can have over done effects .

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM

419 posts, read 387,940 times
If you haven't checked your credit report in awhile, you might want to check it for free at annualcreditreport.com. Make sure nothing weird is going on such as new accounts being opened under your name. You can check Transunion or Experion if want to steer clear of Equifax right now.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
If you haven't checked your credit report in awhile, you might want to check it for free at annualcreditreport.com. Make sure nothing weird is going on such as new accounts being opened under your name. You can check Transunion or Experion if want to steer clear of Equifax right now.
I did the Experian. Nothing looks out of place, nor are there accounts I don't recognize.

Crazy how many different times they write one address, too - one listing has my (first) apartment number as 2-N, another as 2N, which is the way I used to write it, or 2FL and FL2ND, or with both my street and PO Box addresses in one (never wrote it that way).

I'm surprised they didn't list my car loan with Sunmark from 2001. They had all my student loan stuff, even my Perkins loan that got paid to the college.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I'm surprised they didn't list my car loan with Sunmark from 2001. They had all my student loan stuff, even my Perkins loan that got paid to the college.
Are your students loans less than 10 years old, since you paid them off? I thought most things (that are in good standing) stay on your credit report for ten years, then "fall off". So it makes sense your car loan, which I assume has long been paid off, maybe 11 years ago, is not on there any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance