Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

If you sell your house and do not plan on buying for a year or two where is the best place to put that money?

If the amount matters I can add that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
If you want the full amount back then stick it in a money market fund or online savings account, they yield up to 2%.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
When we needed to do the same thing a few years ago, we put the money into a jumbo CD.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
I would not put it into anything that would incur penalties for early withdrawal, such as a CD. You just NEVER know if "life" will create a situation in which you must tap into that money.

Money market fund is the way to go here. Safe, liquid, no hassle and you'll earn a little interest in the 1-2 years.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:22 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times
Send it to me:

Tommy Flanagan
Pathological Liars Association
1 BS Way
Washington DC

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I would not put it into anything that would incur penalties for early withdrawal, such as a CD. You just NEVER know if "life" will create a situation in which you must tap into that money.

Money market fund is the way to go here. Safe, liquid, no hassle and you'll earn a little interest in the 1-2 years.
I put my proceeds into a ladder of $25K CDs, 1 year each, maturing at 3 month intervals and kept another $25K in a money market fund. That way if I need to pull out cash for an earnest money deposit I can do it right away from the money market. Even if you need to sell the CDs before the maturity date you won't take too much of a hit, and in the meantime they are earning more than the banks pay.

I wish there was a safe, liquid way to earn more interest, but this seems like one of those "pick any two" situations.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
CD. Probably several. May need a deposit and latter on the closing. The penality for cashing out is probably offset by the money you will earn but I would look for one with a minimal penality.

You can also buy into a bond fund that has maturity dates for the bonds and liquidates at maturity.

Also CD's traded on the market.

You will need a stock broker for the last two items. Difference in earnings may not be worth the work so an online bank's CD is probably the way to go.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM

So far I think the money market is the way to go, that way if we DO see a house we want to buy, say at the 6 month mark, we can withdraw the money without penalty.

I was/am concerned about the housing market increasing in value at a higher rate than the return on the "parked" money.

I guess a little more info.... we are moving from Hawaii to the mainland and pretty much know the area we want to settle.

We would like to do the whole RV tour the states thing for awhile.

I suppose if home values are headed up at the time we would buy, and do the RV thing, as it would make more sense financially... I think.

If the housing market is flat, or going down, I wouldn't feel the same urgency to purchase.

I think that makes sense.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So far I think the money market is the way to go, that way if we DO see a house we want to buy, say at the 6 month mark, we can withdraw the money without penalty.

I was/am concerned about the housing market increasing in value at a higher rate than the return on the "parked" money.

I guess a little more info.... we are moving from Hawaii to the mainland and pretty much know the area we want to settle.

We would like to do the whole RV tour the states thing for awhile.

I suppose if home values are headed up at the time we would buy, and do the RV thing, as it would make more sense financially... I think.

If the housing market is flat, or going down, I wouldn't feel the same urgency to purchase.

I think that makes sense.
That's a valid concern, but in the course of a year, its unlikely to outstrip you of your purchasing ability, unless your buying at the tippy-top of your budget already.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 PM

No, we won't be purchasing at the top of our budget.

I just like to be as wise as possible in these cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance