Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 AM

400 posts, read 564,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

i would only purchase another slowly depreciating vehicle and am currently thinking about:
  • Subaru Outback 3.6R
  • Toyota Tacoma (though I may want to wait for the redesign)
  • Jeep Wrangler

I ditched a Tacoma after only 4 months due to the engine / transmission combo and uncomfortable seats. Next redesign is likely about 7 years away.

I currently have a Jeep (actually 2), and it has been the funnest car I've ever owned - however at 54K miles it is slowly starting to fall apart. Granted, the residual value is crazy - I would be very careful going from a Forester to a Wrangler. Maybe take a look at the Cherokee Trailhawk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
I ditched a Tacoma after only 4 months due to the engine / transmission combo and uncomfortable seats. Next redesign is likely about 7 years away.

I currently have a Jeep (actually 2), and it has been the funnest car I've ever owned - however at 54K miles it is slowly starting to fall apart. Granted, the residual value is crazy - I would be very careful going from a Forester to a Wrangler. Maybe take a look at the Cherokee Trailhawk.
to your first point, i have heard that complaint a lot about the 3rd gen, however i think Toyota's hand might be forced way sooner than 7 years considering how old the Tacoma platform is and the fact that they will be feeling the pressure from the Ford Ranger.

i also agree re: the Wrangler as it can also be uncomfortable for long trips. that is something i will need to determine for myself. in regards to the Trailhawk, definitely not. the only FCA product i would purchase is a Wrangler.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:49 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Let's discuss........

What is there to discuss? You made a mistake and bought a car you do not like. Now you seem determined to spend a bunch of money to replace that new car. One of your replacement choices is a very similar vehicle from the same manufacturer!! Performance will be very similar and the seats which you do not like may be identical.

I do understand that seats are built for the "average" person and might not be comfortable for some people. If that is a major concern, why didn't you sit in the car, do a test drive and decide if the seats felt comfortable? That should not have been difficult. Many cars have options for seats that are highly adjustable. Maybe that is something you should have considered.

There are a great many choices for add on cushions and other devices that can be used to made a car seat more comfortable. My wife is definitely fussy and has some spine issues. She has found several choices that work for her.

Instead you seem determined to buy a replacement vehicle. I will bet you can make another poor choice without the need for additional discussion.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Let's discuss........

What is there to discuss? You made a mistake and bought a car you do not like. Now you seem determined to spend a bunch of money to replace that new car. One of your replacement choices is a very similar vehicle from the same manufacturer!! Performance will be very similar and the seats which you do not like may be identical.

I do understand that seats are built for the "average" person and might not be comfortable for some people. If that is a major concern, why didn't you sit in the car, do a test drive and decide if the seats felt comfortable? That should not have been difficult. Many cars have options for seats that are highly adjustable. Maybe that is something you should have considered.

There are a great many choices for add on cushions and other devices that can be used to made a car seat more comfortable. My wife is definitely fussy and has some spine issues. She has found several choices that work for her.

Instead you seem determined to buy a replacement vehicle. I will bet you can make another poor choice without the need for additional discussion.
i appreciate your input, however uniformed it may be.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Let's discuss........

An Outback 3.6R is a 6 cylinder. 256 hp and adequate torque. The 4 cylinder Subarus are kind-a underpowered.

An Outback is a Legacy station wagon lifted 3". It's car seating position since it's a car. The Forester is on the Impreza platform with a high roofline typical of most crossovers. It has a very high upright seating position.

I own one. The seats are adequate. You'd never confuse it with the seat from a European luxury sedan or a Recaro aftermarket seat. A 3.6R is a sub-$35K street price car. It doesn't have luxury car seats. It doesn't have 300+ hp.

Me? If I had a 2 year old Forester, I'd live with the wimpy performance and swap in aftermarket seats. I'd also be searching for a wrecked European luxury sedan where I could drop in used seats. I'll bet you could make Volvo S80 seats work other than the ventilation.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Let's discuss........

They are very different vehicles, actually.

The seat question remains though.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They are very different vehicles, actually.

The seat question remains though.
seats are dissimilar. the Outback is based on the Legacy platform. the 3.6R comes with leather seats. they are quite different and the OB/Legacy is much more comfortable (to me).

someone summed it up very well with the Forester seats. you sit ON them, not in them. some people like that. i do not.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:32 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Thefastlife,

I like and second the idea of renting a car to test it out.

When my Kia sedona got rear ended, I fought for a vehicle i could get in and out off to rent while mine was fixed. I have back issues ( degenerative disc disease), necrosis in my femur, and a bad knee, so I need a vehicle I can sit high into, not sit down on the ground into. I'm technically only covered to rent a munchkin car, but I push that I insure and drive a minivan for a reason.

Long story short on that is thst I have been thinking about buying a Chevy equinox or GMC terrain. We got to rent both while the sedona was,in the shop. I love the look of the terrain, but found I think I like the equinox better. Same idea, but liked one vehicle over the other.

So DO go rent whatever you are thinking of buying, and try it out.

Then, if you can pay off the loan, do so and private sell. Or go to carmax or otger car buying service, and grt a quote. If you can't and it's not a local bank, trade it in, but don't let them hornswaggle you with low trade in. I've found if i say "ill sleep on it " if i call back and ask if it's still available, they usually up my trade in value. I also, when offered a price of say $16, 210.00, I'll say "what can you do to make it an even $15,000??" They usually up my trade in value. Tge first trade in "value" is always their lowest.

Good luck in your new choice.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
You can go to a custom car upholstery shop and have them put in a new seat that not only will address your comfort needs, but they can also match the interior of the car. No need to trade in a perfectly fine vehicle for such an easy solution.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
You can go to a custom car upholstery shop...
^^There ya go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance