Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

The business we work for uses M and T Bank. If we opened an account there, they seem to say on their website that any hold would be no more than one day. They will find out about how to do direct deposit, but wouldn’t having an account at the same bank make things a little easier in terms of check holds?

Of course, if any has anything to say about M and T Bank, I’m all eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 05:51 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Bank of America has finally lost me as a customer.

Any recommendations for a bank that doesn't put 10 days hold on a valid check? If there are none, then one that employs someone who can resolve the problem when it happens? Don't say BOA because they all (phone, branch, twitter., etc...) say "'there is nothing we can do". I have noticed that they are doing this more often. Three times my card was blocked when buying gas. They have become unreliable. I"m done. Time for a new bank. Recommendations welcome.
How big was the check? That's a common thing for banks to do when it's a high dollar one. I put in a $3K one with Tek FCU and they took three weeks to approve...Yuck.

I'm with US Bank. Have always gotten really good service from them online and at branches...Drawback is I have to go 5 miles to the one open on a sunday...

Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
USAA Bank is my primary checking and I've never had a hold put on any check of any size when I scan it in with my phone. ACH pull transfers from other institutions are also instantly posted to my account as available even though the ACH hasn't taken place yet. I don't hold much savings there because rates aren't good, but for the everyday checking account it's pretty tough to beat - and totally fee free to use.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Anyone find that ALLY deposits take FOREVER?

Been a week now since we moved the funds from BOA to ALLY.

My husband's idea .. I am not a fan of online banks.

But he was swayed by the high interest rate.

I WANT MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!! BUT IT IS NOT THERE YET @ ALLY!!!

What is going on?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I want to update the thread. BOA did not hold this months check. Everything was the same as the last check and all the checks before it..

One detail I forgot to mention was that these are bank checks, not check from the employer. The employer set it up to automatically send a check each month.

YES They will change it to direct deposit very soon.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Join a credit union as they are member owned. You get better customer care and it is often cheaper as to fees.
Ditto. Use a credit union. Better service, lower or nonexistent fees, lower credit card and loan rates. I have no idea why anyone would use a bank unless they were handling tens of millions of dollars. For personal finance, credit unions are where it's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance