Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:40 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It’s also not very appealing to me to work the prime years of my life at a high stress 100k job and bank all of it while living like a monk. This guy did that for 15 years. That’s probably part of the reason he hated it so much.

I’d rather do stuff the entire time, while putting away money and still retire a millionaire anyways.

Also, not many people make over 100k solo...and I don’t think it ever mentioned what his wife makes. This article isn’t practical for probably 90%+ of the population.
I agree with this for a different reason.

We spend some money on travel NOW and don't "save it for later " due to health reasons.
I have degenerative disc disease in my spine and a bad knee and stage 3 avascular necrosis in my hip and femur. I get around with a cane. If I live that long, I may be in a wheelchair by 70 or 80, etc.
My OH has Pagets bone disease in left hip, and osteoporosis in right hip, so my OH s walking days may be numbered too.

So we go on trips to Disney World, Hawai'i and the like. Our next trip back to Hawai'i will be 2020 or 2022, haven't decided yet. I figured if we went this fall, we could do it for $3500/WEEK rt air car rental included. But we know the tricks, so someone else may cost $5k.

That $4k we are planning for 2020 COULD be staying in retirement fund and may not be needed for 20 years, and would obviously grow, to at me at $10k but we'd rather go NOW while we can still walk the beaches, climb the volcanos, dance to the mele of the hula.

It's a trade off.

She. I was,in my 20s I lived Spartan for a while, or bought very cheap stuff and worked hard at two jobs to save for retirement but to also enjoy my life.

Now I am a "working person with disabilities " and work part time so we have extra money to pay bills, save for retirement and go on those vacations.

I believe in spend a little and enjoy it now before I become one with the recliner and tv remote because I can't move on my own any MORE.

Each to his own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:17 AM

30,904 posts, read 37,005,119 times
I see the Internet Retirement Police are out in full force.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Most people will never reach anywhere close to even a quarter of a million in retirement savings, based on recent articles.
True. And I suspect many of these folks who will save $250k by age 65 if they're lucky are among the most strident and shrill members of the Internet Retirement Police.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
If the article was labeled about becoming financially independent at 30 or 42 it wouldn't sound that amazing, but that's really all that's happened.
The terms "financially independent" and "retired" are just semantics.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The only people I've known who've really been able to retire before 40 are people who founded their own companies or those who have received generous stock options. You're not going to be able to get out in your 30s as an average corporate worker bee.
That's at least partly, if not mostly, because the average corporate worker bee doesn't want it bad enough. You essentially have to earn an upper middle class income but live a lower middle class lifestyle for a decade and save/invest the difference. Engineers seem to be most likely to be wiling to live this way. They don't care about social status and get a kick out of designing an efficient lifestyle....so living close to work in a small apartment (or buying a house and renting out the bedrooms) and riding your bike to work (or driving a used economy car) is less likely to be seen as deprivation/sacrifice to such people. They want independence from the corporate world more than they want the 'trappings' of the upper middle class lifestyle.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have a friend who retired early because he lived like few others.

He is an engineer who married early, got divorced by age 30, paid her off and never had kids. After that he remained single. He lived simply and made about $100K per year. Instead of diversifying, in 2004 he put all his savings into Apple stock. In 2012, he switched to Amazon.

What he did was incredibly risky but he was correct. He had no wife to nag him. He has no heirs.

Now he does whatever he wants to do.
If he lived simply and just invested in something like a total stock market index fund, he still would've gotten there. It just would've taken a few more years.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Max out your 401k for 20 years gets you to a million. So yeah, 30 is hard, but early 40s definitely do-able. (Not saying it's easy.)
Yep, that's the math.

$1500 a month at 9% over 20 years gets you just over a million. 9% is optimistic but is slightly below the long term average of 10.18% for the S&P 500 stock index since 1926.

But $1500 a month ($18k per year) is slightly less than the current maximum of $18,500 per year. And I didn't include any employer matching, either.

So it's optimistic, but still in the doable range.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
It’s also not very appealing to me to work the prime years of my life at a high stress 100k job and bank all of it while living like a monk. This guy did that for 15 years. That’s probably part of the reason he hated it so much.

I’d rather do stuff the entire time, while putting away money and still retire a millionaire anyways.

Also, not many people make over 100k solo...and I don’t think it ever mentioned what his wife makes. This article isn’t practical for probably 90%+ of the population.
People always throw out the same old tired arguments:

--You're lying....and then when you show them the numbers, they revert to the next one:

--You're living like a monk (or more bluntly "you're a loser")

Why not just admit that you don't want to do what it takes instead of throwing out unjustified criticisms?

Old 09-11-2018, 04:36 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,442,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People always throw out the same old tired arguments:

--You're lying....and then when you show them the numbers, they revert to the next one:

--You're living like a monk (or more bluntly "you're a loser")

Why not just admit that you don't want to do what it takes instead of throwing out unjustified criticisms?

Realistically, you’re right. I exaggerated. If it is truly someone’s goal to be financially independent with a decent job you could do it early by just planning. When I graduated college, I made 45k but I choose to rent in one of the nicer suburbs. Today, my wife and I make over 3 times that amount and the life style creep is obvious. Now, I have a house, new cars, travel, eat out all the time, live in nice areas, ect. If I lived as simple as before I met her, we could easily throw 60k to 80k into investments a year and I would be a millionaire by 35.

The truth is, I don’t want to. I grew up struggling in a poor area. I moved heaven and earth to escape it. I want to be able to go on 3 or 4 trips per year because I never left my home state until after college. I save 7 percent of my salary to get the 7 percent 401k match and my wife saves 6 percent to get her 6 percent. The rest is to have experiences and to live well. I could be dead by 60 or I might not have the health to enjoy the things I do now. My job is stressful. I work to do other things. Not to grow an investment balance as my highest priority. It’s still a priority, but I don’t value financial independence higher than using my 20s and 30s to live well.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 09-11-2018 at 04:50 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:11 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,962 times
Quote:
Realistically, you’re right. I exaggerated. If it is truly someone’s goal to be financially independent with a decent job you could do it early by just planning. When I graduated college, I made 45k but I choose to rent in one of the nicer suburbs. Today, my wife and I make over 3 times that amount and the life style creep is obvious. Now, I have a house, new cars, travel, eat out all the time, live in nice areas, ect. If I lived as simple as before I met her, we could easily throw 60k to 80k into investments a year and I would be a millionaire by 35.

The truth is, I don’t want to. I grew up struggling in a poor area. I moved heaven and earth to escape it. I want to be able to go on 3 or 4 trips per year because I never left my home state until after college. I save 7 percent of my salary to get the 7 percent 401k match and my wife saves 6 percent to get her 6 percent. The rest is to have experiences and to live well. I could be dead by 60 or I might not have the health to enjoy the things I do now. My job is stressful. I work to do other things. Not to grow an investment balance as my highest priority. It’s still a priority, but I don’t value financial independence higher than using my 20s and 30s to live well.
This pretty much sums up the problem. You make over 135K a year but can only manage to contribute the bare minimum to retirement.

You would not need to sacrifice anything to max out your 401k. You would just need to actually give a crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance