Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times

Advertisements

My daughter is about to graduate and move to Indianapolis for her new Job which is an 18 month contract.

Her current bank is a local bank that does not have branches outside of our state so I think it might be good for her to open a new account to avoid high ATM withdrawal fees.

I'm thinking either a national bank, an online bank or a credit union (we belong to usalliance and penfed) would be the areas to look.

Any recommendations? or things to look out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 10:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
If you can meet the minimums for big banks and get free checking/saving I have always gone that route. Credit unions and local banks are fun niche products that make consumers think they are pulling one over on the "corporate big bank group" yet I find them to be amateurish in nature. I have opened up accounts at some smaller local banks to get free bonus money and have never been impressed. I don't give a crap about customer service, I want ease of use technology such as apps that function well and easy to use web site interfaces.

Open up a money market account for emergency fund savings and put any extra there, then use the same linked big bank brokerage account for additional funds. I would use Fidelity as a retirement Co (ie IRAs). Combining your brokerage with your big bank gives you nice perks.

You honestly can't go wrong with any big bank. Except Wells Fargo. I would never do business with them. IMO.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Just have her get an online checking account like from Charles Schwab. Branches are overrated, and I've worked in the industry for 17 years.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
Just make sure to check out fees. I agree with the credit union idea -- I'm at one and haven't paid a fee in 20 years.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:07 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Just have her get an online checking account like from Charles Schwab. Branches are overrated, and I've worked in the industry for 17 years.
Agree. No fees and can get her started on savings and investing. Can deposit checks with a smart phone.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:12 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Wall Street banks are criminal enterprises aided and abetted by the Federal Government since 1990.

Go to a credit union.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 PM

388 posts, read 474,179 times
Go to a credit union.

It is easier to build up a history with a CU to later get good rates and terms on car loans, home loans, and starter credit cards than with a big bank.

Big banks pummel you with fees.

CUs help you build your credit history and credit report score (if used prudently, of course.)

Congrats to your daughter!

Old 09-16-2018, 05:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Go to a credit union.

It is easier to build up a history with a CU to later get good rates and terms on car loans, home loans, and starter credit cards than with a big bank.

Big banks pummel you with fees.

CUs help you build your credit history and credit report score (if used prudently, of course.)

Congrats to your daughter!
Can you explain how a CU helps build credit history?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:03 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Can't fail with DIME Bank Or even try Astoria Bank. Look for location?

TD = Bank of Canada
HSBC = Bank of Hong Kong
East West = Bank of China
CHASE = Money grubbing scumbags

Credit is built from using a credit card and keeping payments.

Statefarm ( the insurance company ) ha a student credit card but you must list your location on the campus. However I had one shipped to my home even if I did list a location on my campus. It is a very sought after card.

EVERY STUDENT SHOULD HAVE A CREDIT CARD TO BUILD CREDIT AND IN CASE OF EMERGENCIES LIKE UBER/LIFT OR EVEN A BAR/DATE.

It is hard to say because my life as a student was cut short but that is how it works.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Can't fail with DIME Bank Or even try Astoria Bank. Look for location?

TD = Bank of Canada
HSBC = Bank of Hong Kong
East West = Bank of China
CHASE = Money grubbing scumbags

Credit is built from using a credit card and keeping payments.

Statefarm ( the insurance company ) ha a student credit card but you must list your location on the campus. However I had one shipped to my home even if I did list a location on my campus. It is a very sought after card.

EVERY STUDENT SHOULD HAVE A CREDIT CARD TO BUILD CREDIT AND IN CASE OF EMERGENCIES LIKE UBER/LIFT OR EVEN A BAR/DATE.

It is hard to say because my life as a student was cut short but that is how it works.
Just a correction. TD is not equal to The Bank of Canada. The Bank of Canada is Canada's Central Bank. The US equivalent is The Federal Reserve.

TD stands for Toronto Dominion, and is just one of the big 5 banks in Canada, like The Royal Bank, The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance