Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times

Advertisements

I am buying a new car. I was going to just pay for it in cash, I don't like paying interest or having debt...

But then I decided - Why not finance the car, and just pay off the entire loan within the first 2 months?!

My idea is that I will still pay minimal interest (no early payoff penalty), but I will also build my credit by securing a new line of credit and then successfully paying it off.

Has anyone here ever done this? And if so, how has it impacted your credit score?

Or any other thoughts/comments regarding this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:21 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I am buying a new car. I was going to just pay for it in cash, I don't like paying interest or having debt...

But then I decided - Why not finance the car, and just pay off the entire loan within the first 2 months?!

My idea is that I will still pay minimal interest (no early payoff penalty), but I will also build my credit by securing a new line of credit and then successfully paying it off.

Has anyone here ever done this? And if so, how has it impacted your credit score?

You can usually get a better sales price if you agree to finance through the dealership because will be earning a percentage of the interest on the loan. You then pay it off in 2 months.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
But then I decided - Why not finance the car, and just pay off the entire loan...
And just pay off the entire loan... when you no longer need full coverage insurance.
Or it becomes time to sell/trade the car in.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Haven't done it, but.. If you can.. Seems like a good idea. You'll take a hit on your score for 2 months, but.. So what? Hell, the hit I took taking out a $29k loan in January was only like 10 points and i've recovered half of it already.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
LAst three cars I bought I did just that. Reason being, I buy and then sell what I own. Then, money goes into the new car loan, if there is any balance - I pay it off in full.

Usually, 2 months is too much. Last one, I sold my car in 4 days to local dealer. For what i wanted for it. They called me and that was deal.

I don't care about FICO score, mine is up the roof anyway. It's just convenience to me.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:25 PM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Check fees!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Just ensure the loan documents do not contain the term "precomputed interest", which essentially means you're on the hook for the precomputed interest on the loan no matter how early you pay it off. I don't think this is that common any more.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I was prepared to pay cash for my last 2 vehicles. I found that the dealer was willing to make more concessions if I took out loans. They make money on that process.

It is true that having loans will increase your credit score. That just makes it easier to borrow even more. That is of limited or no value to someone who doesn't "like paying interest or having debt".

I am in no hurry to pay off my loans. They are at 3% or less. My investments return an average of more than twice that amount.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I was prepared to pay cash for my last 2 vehicles. I found that the dealer was willing to make more concessions if I took out loans. They make money on that process.

It is true that having loans will increase your credit score. That just makes it easier to borrow even more. That is of limited or no value to someone who doesn't "like paying interest or having debt".

I am in no hurry to pay off my loans. They are at 3% or less. My investments return an average of more than twice that amount.
The problem here (aside from the fact that market returns are not guaranteed) is that psychological studies have shown in a variety of contexts that people tend to spend more money when things are put on credit. If you could spend exactly the same amount one way or the other that is one thing, but in practice, knowing that one will part with all the cash at once will tend to lead most of us to spend more conservatively.

You may believe that you are immune to this, but as many infamous behavioral psychologists have shown (e.g. D. Kahneman and A. Tversky), much of our behavior is governed by unconscious biases. By definition, we are not aware of our unconscious biases - so simply believing you aren't subject to spending more on credit doesn't make it true.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:

The things that impact your credit score are:

- Recent inquiries
- New accounts
- On-time payments
- Longevity (Oldest credit line)
- Available credit
- How much of that available credit you're using

IMO, you'd probably lose some points for the inquiry and opening a new account. I don't think you'd gain points for on-time payments or longevity (because of the short two month span).

Available credit and credit used would not come into play (that's for open lines of credit).

If your goal is to increase your credit score, I would suggest paying it off over 12 to 24 months so that you gain points for on-time payments. I'm also of the mind that not all debt is bad debt (as long as it's a manageable amount).

That's just my inexpert opinion (I keep a close eye on my credit score and notice what causes it to fluctuate). If you go this route, I would be interested to hear how it affects your credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance