Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 01:39 AM

13,661 posts, read 9,727,106 times

Advertisements

Unhealthy habits are only part of the problem. We're all eventually going to die either from ill health or something sudden (violence, accident, etc). Ill health might be Alzheimer's at age 95, after a lifetime of good diet and exercise. The real problem, in terms of healthcare costs, is not necessarily in treating obese middle-aged smokers, but in costly treatment in the final stages of life, whether those come at 55 or 95. The solution is changing our culture, to embrace the onset of death, instead of trying to medicate it. Can this be done? If not, we will continue to have escalating healthcare costs. It is a choice that we as a society have to make.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
This is like the advice I got at a retirement seminar a few months ago. "If you had invested $500 a month, starting in 1980, you would …." Like all typical retirement advice it ignores the fact that I, like most people, wasn't making $500 a month in 1980. My budget at a huge $50 bucks a month for the savings account. Back then, there weren't all these on line trading aps. A broker wouldn't even talk to you for $50 in the stock market.

It's just not helpful to give completely unrealistic advice.

Personally I think Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey are just a step above snake oil.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:49 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,918 times
To me, "retirement" starts the moment my investments and passive income start making enough money every month that they cover all my expenses.

If my outgoing bills are $3,600 and I have $4,000 coming in every month between rental property and dividends I'd consider myself "retired", even if I am still working, because at that point I'm doing it 100% by choice, and I can walk at any moment without worry... That has to be an amazing feeling.

That's why even though I know I could earn more investing beyond my 401k match and Roth IRA, I'm still focused on paying down my 4% student loans as its a guaranteed way to lower my monthly expenses by $370.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
To me, "retirement" starts the moment my investments and passive income start making enough money every month that they cover all my expenses.

If my outgoing bills are $3,600 and I have $4,000 coming in every month between rental property and dividends I'd consider myself "retired", even if I am still working, because at that point I'm doing it 100% by choice, and I can walk at any moment without worry... That has to be an amazing feeling.

That's why even though I know I could earn more investing beyond my 401k match and Roth IRA, I'm still focused on paying down my 4% student loans as its a guaranteed way to lower my monthly expenses by $370.
Several people are here are going to tell you that you have the wrong definition of retirement although I now see there is no solid definition nowadays. I have a better income from my rentals than when I worked and spend an hour or two a month overseeing them. Most tell me I'm not retired but have a business.

I would then argue that if this is the case then people who are retired in the conventional sense aren't retired either if they spend any time at all overseeing their market investments whether it being banking, doing tax returns, shifting or rebalancing portfolios.

I will say that when you reach the point you are talking about the feeling is indeed wonderful. The security you feel just makes everything so much nicer.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is like

How is Dave Ramsey just above snake oil? He basically tells people to spend less than you earn. Pretty simple formula.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
I listened to Dave Ramsey's radio show for years, and in all those years I heard him give out advice I didn't agree with only one or two times. I listened to him for entertainment. I think he handed out great advice to the financially clueless. (I haven't been financially clueless since I was about 15 years old.)

Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
I used to listen to Dave Ramsey in the background while I worked. He had a good radio voice. At the time I wasn't doing great financially and it made me feel better to know there were lots of people more screwed up than me. That said it's amazing how many make a decent wage but have no idea how to not put themselves in a pickle.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
I always considered his show entertaining, and yes he has a great radio voice! I always felt validated as he handed out answers identical to the same advice I would have given. He also has a very personable personality.

My parents did well in educating me in personal finance, a subject that was taught dismally poor at my schools. From what I see today I wonder if they teach personal finance at all in today's schools.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:25 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Unhealthy habits are only part of the problem. We're all eventually going to die either from ill health or something sudden (violence, accident, etc). Ill health might be Alzheimer's at age 95, after a lifetime of good diet and exercise.
It could be, but Alzheimer's is also highly preventable. People seem to love to talk about the 30% of issues that are beyond our control and ignore the 70% that we have control over and I, for one, am tired of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The real problem, in terms of healthcare costs, is not necessarily in treating obese middle-aged smokers, but in costly treatment in the final stages of life, whether those come at 55 or 95. The solution is changing our culture, to embrace the onset of death, instead of trying to medicate it. Can this be done? If not, we will continue to have escalating healthcare costs. It is a choice that we as a society have to make.
Yes, I definitely agree with that. We spend insane amounts of money at the end of people's lives that does little to no good.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:27 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is like the advice I got at a retirement seminar a few months ago. "If you had invested $500 a month, starting in 1980, you would …." Like all typical retirement advice it ignores the fact that I, like most people, wasn't making $500 a month in 1980. My budget at a huge $50 bucks a month for the savings account. Back then, there weren't all these on line trading aps. A broker wouldn't even talk to you for $50 in the stock market.

It's just not helpful to give completely unrealistic advice.

So, back in 1980, you could've gotten CDs or a good bank account that paid interest above the inflation rate. The 1980s were a great time to own CDs.

I think the naysayers live in this world of no possibility. Because one particular option wasn't available to them at a specific point in time, it justifies doing nothing. People who do well financially don't think that way. They do what they can with what they have and go from there. If they only have $50 bucks, they put away the $50 bucks in a CD or whatever the best option is at the time, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance