Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Another thing was the address, it was my dads address, so Why would an identity thief use an address when he would never have access to it?

That might be why the card never got issued or used. The thief didn't get all your information entirely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
Do you or your father order off Amazon? Any way his address is on your account? (Mine has several addresses as I sometimes ship to relatives directly.)

The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card are through Chase. Before I had an Amazon card, I believe their offers popped up pretty often when checking out - you applied for the card and immediately saved so much or got a gift card for an amount. I was able to use my card at Amazon long before they sent me a physical card in the mail.

Hopefully, Amazon can maybe tell you if one of these offers was clicked. Maybe until it is actually used to place an order on Amazon they don't continue with the activation process?
Yes, I have ordered from Amazon numerous times, but my dad has not, and his address was never part of my account. I would have no reason to have stuff shipped to his house.

Im thinking something like this happened, and it was not ID theft.

We all know places buy and sell our personal data (like SS number, mothers maiden name, city where we were born, etc), why would it be surprising if Amazon opened a credit card for me, thinking I would request the card and start spending?

*I still havent heard back from Amazon fraud dept. Im going to call back today.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Yes, I have ordered from Amazon numerous times, but my dad has not, and his address was never part of my account. I would have no reason to have stuff shipped to his house.

Im thinking something like this happened, and it was not ID theft.

We all know places buy and sell our personal data (like SS number, mothers maiden name, city where we were born, etc), why would it be surprising if Amazon opened a credit card for me, thinking I would request the card and start spending?

*I still havent heard back from Amazon fraud dept. Im going to call back today.
I can’t offer any advice, except, I would immediately freeze my credit at all agencies cause something is going on.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Well, I spoke with Amazon..this was NOT ID theft (not in the traditional sense anyway)

This is something Amazon/ CHASE did, I found out the account was never activated, this was sent to me hoping I would request the card and start spending, it was marketing basically.It took me about 45 minutes to get them to admit this though, at first they were telling me I had checked a box in my last amazon purchase, which basically automatically applied for a Chase/amazon credit card (a pre-approval anyway)..I know for a fact I never did this, makes me mad they tried to use this excuse too!

I asked how they had my mothers maiden name, my SS, etc. turns out the credit card I used to buy stuff from Amazon in the past is how they obtained this info, she said this info is shared with other credit card companies so they can target potential customers. They also said if I had requested the card, I would have been asked to fill out my employment and income details for final approval, this is pretty clever of them actually.

Im not really sure what to do now, the account is closed (even though it was never activated??) There is nothing unusual on my credit report ( checked all 3 btw).

Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Well, I spoke with Amazon..this was NOT ID theft (not in the traditional sense anyway)

This is something Amazon/ CHASE did, I found out the account was never activated, this was sent to me hoping I would request the card and start spending, it was marketing basically.It took me about 45 minutes to get them to admit this though, at first they were telling me I had checked a box in my last amazon purchase, which basically automatically applied for a Chase/amazon credit card (a pre-approval anyway)..I know for a fact I never did this, makes me mad they tried to use this excuse too!

I asked how they had my mothers maiden name, my SS, etc. turns out the credit card I used to buy stuff from Amazon in the past is how they obtained this info, she said this info is shared with other credit card companies so they can target potential customers. They also said if I had requested the card, I would have been asked to fill out my employment and income details for final approval, this is pretty clever of them actually.

Im not really sure what to do now, the account is closed (even though it was never activated??) There is nothing unusual on my credit report ( checked all 3 btw).
Freeze your credit.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
IIRC, sending unsolicited but valid CC is/was against regulations. The reasons are obvious.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
IIRC, sending unsolicited but valid CC is/was against regulations. The reasons are obvious.
Apparently its not anymore!

Old 12-09-2018, 04:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Was it an actual credit card or it looked like one? I get advertisements all the time that have a fake card in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance