Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Contrary to what many people believe, many schools do have financial literacy programs.
Really? That is surprising. It makes you wonder why people would take out large student loans if that were the case.

Which high schools have courses on financial literacy? I’d like to look into those programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
I'd prefer making "Your money or your life" required reading, but in all honesty we'd be better off teaching kids in HS about personal finance in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Contrary to what many people believe, many schools do have financial literacy programs.
Interesting It's been about 17 years since I graduated HS, but we most certainly didn't have any financial literacy programs.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this book, it was a study published in 1996 which revealed that, contrary to what the media would have you believe, the vast majority of rich people in America are not movie stars, professional athletes or CEOs.

Rather, most wealthy Americans are extremely frugal people who live well below their means. They live in middle-class or even working-class neighborhoods. They drive ordinary cars. They became millionaires in one generation. However, they do not display their wealth. You would never know how high their net worth is by looking at them. Appearances can be deceiving.

Do you believe most millionaires are just regular people hidden in the masses? Do you think "The Millionaire Next Door" should be required reading for Americans who want to learn the secret of managing their finances better?
It certainly should be required reading in the schools - ditch the Shakespeare, ditch the poetry, ditch the English literature, etc. Instead go with the financial classics -- some Peter Lynch, One Up On Wall Street. Throw in Buffett's biography while you are at it. Throw in some Enron material (Smartest Guys In The Room is my personal favorite). Throw in a book about Bernie Madoff.

There is so much great reading material that isn't being used, so you have to ask yourself.....WHY NOT? Who is benefitting from having a population that is financially ignorant? Somebody likes the system just the way it is.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
no.
Why not?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It certainly should be required reading in the schools - ditch the Shakespeare, ditch the poetry, ditch the English literature, etc. Instead go with the financial classics -- some Peter Lynch, One Up On Wall Street. Throw in Buffett's biography while you are at it. Throw in some Enron material (Smartest Guys In The Room is my personal favorite). Throw in a book about Bernie Madoff.

There is so much great reading material that isn't being used, so you have to ask yourself.....WHY NOT? Who is benefitting from having a population that is financially ignorant? Somebody likes the system just the way it is.
^^^

My husband has a PhD in Education. He sometimes reminds us that the modern school system wasn't designed to make upstanding and well-rounded citizens, as we often hope it does today, but rather to keep urban gangs from causing social strife (Gangs of New York) and to fit kids for factory work.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
^^^

My husband has a PhD in Education. He sometimes reminds us that the modern school system wasn't designed to make upstanding and well-rounded citizens, as we often hope it does today, but rather to keep urban gangs from causing social strife (Gangs of New York) and to fit kids for factory work.
Well, somebody needs to make some changes. I was on board with this 30 years ago when I was in school. Always hated my English classes and the reading assignments. It was always something I wasn't interested in doing.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpty View Post
Perhaps if they had the insight to name it 'The Multi-Millionaire Next Door'.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:14 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Also read some of the critiques, such as those by John T. Reed
Are you saying his critiques of rich dad?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Really? That is surprising. It makes you wonder why people would take out large student loans if that were the case.

Which high schools have courses on financial literacy? I’d like to look into those programs.
Many schools in my area have them as part of their curriculum and a prerequisite for graduation. As I said, it still doesn't override the impulsivity and idealism of young people and the fact that the majority have never worked a job before graduating high school. I can't speak for whether or not these programs are required in other places throughout the US.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:27 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, somebody needs to make some changes. I was on board with this 30 years ago when I was in school. Always hated my English classes and the reading assignments. It was always something I wasn't interested in doing.
But 16 year old you would be interested in reading about 60 year old dudes showing up to drink beer and answer questions about how they obtained their million dollars? I didn't have any idea about what things cost besides my gas and the beer I was trying to get people to buy for me when I was in HS. I think my parents could have done a better job of letting me know just how much money they were spending on me, although I don't know if I would have cared (I like to think I would have appreciated it though). I likely would have said something like...well everyone else's parents are doing the same.....

When I was 16 the last thing I wanted to do was drive a 1989 Toyota Camry when my friends had brand new Jeep Wranglers or Lexus'. Hell I remember explicitly telling a friend of mine in early grad school to take out the loans (fed subsidized) even if you don't need them and do something fun with the money because you'll always have bills. I was an idiot and that was at 24. Luckily I never really took my own advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance