Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I had a utility-bill debt at my old address turned over to the collection agency 2 days ago. I didn't receive any communications from the company and would've GLADLY paid it if I was aware (its only $300 bucks).

Should I pay it? Or is it one of the things that will stay on my credit report for years regardless of if I pay it or not?

Will paying it this early on stop the credit bureaus from being notified? My credit is my biggest concern. I asked both the utility company and the collection agency whether the credit bureaus will be notified and they seemed unsure.

Lastly, should I pay the collection agency or the utility company directly? My instincts tell me the collection agency but the utility company rep told me that its better to pay the utility company directly.

What do I do?

Thanks

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-13-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Hi,

I had a utility-bill debt at my old address turned over to the collection agency 2 days ago. I didn't receive any communications from the company and would've GLADLY paid it if I was aware (its only $300 bucks).

Should I pay it? Or is it one of the things that will stay on my credit report for years regardless of if I pay it or not?

Will paying it this early on stop the credit bureaus from being notified? My credit is my biggest concern. I asked both the utility company and the collection agency whether the credit bureaus will be notified and they seemed unsure.

What do I do?

Thanks
It's already on your credit report most likely.

When I had this situation for a medical bill I called the hospital, discovered as we were pulling credit to buy a house. They sent the bill to the wrong address, addressed to the wrong person. Their excuse was that I "should've known" I was going to get this specific bill (my wife had surgery and we paid several bills as they came).

It was for a fairly low amount, maybe $200. I told them I would gladly pay if they removed it from my credit report.

At first they balked and I nicely hung up. I received a call a few days later and they agreed to "my terms".

Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
Thanks for your response, Wheelsup.

Update for those who may be interested:

- I paid the bill in full to the collection agency. They said that they never report to credit bureaus and they promised to send something in writing.

- The utility company said that they don't report to the credit bureau; especially in scenarios like mine where the debt was newly turned over.

I guess I'll have to keep monitoring my Credit Karma.

*Sigh..

Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Thanks for your response, Wheelsup.

Update for those who may be interested:

- I paid the bill in full to the collection agency. They said that they never report to credit bureaus and they promised to send something in writing.

- The utility company said that they don't report to the credit bureau; especially in scenarios like mine where the debt was newly turned over.

I guess I'll have to keep monitoring my Credit Karma.

*Sigh..
I had a problem with a utility bill that was actually paid. The credit bureau contacted me when the bill was a year old (utility never contacted me) and I spend another year until the utility admitted they posted my payment to the wrong account. Never showed up on my credit report.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 AM

305 posts, read 241,649 times
I just love credit karma, it makes it pretty easy for me to follow along with everything.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:24 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Yeah we are sure that is exactly how that credit hack worked out

Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
OP did you get something in writing -- before you paid it -- saying the $300 satisfies the debt completely, and no further action would be taken against to upon it being paid in full? Do you have in writing that neither party reports to credit bureaus?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:16 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP did you get something in writing -- before you paid it -- saying the $300 satisfies the debt completely, and no further action would be taken against to upon it being paid in full? Do you have in writing that neither party reports to credit bureaus?
This.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,219,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yeah we are sure that is exactly how that credit hack worked out
What credit hack?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
We have had the problem in the past, where the creditor notifies a debt collection agency. So we paid the debt, but the creditor never notified the collection agency. So even though we had paid the debt in full, the collection agency continued to pester us on the phone every week for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance