Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times

Advertisements

Deduct enough for the employer match. Try to save 10% on top of that on his own

He's driving on borrowed time with that 15 year old car. I'd set a medium term goal of saving enough to buy a decent car in 1-3 years. Decent cars that'll last you 10+ years are 20-30k.

One of the first major financial decisions I made was financing a new car. Won't do that again.

The other most important financial decision he'll ever make will be who he marries. I'd set a hard move out deadline for 1 year from now. He needs to live his own life and he won't be able to do that living with his parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
All good advice here. If I had to boil it down to the most important, it would be: get an emergency fund saved, save as much as possible towards retirement, and stay out of debt.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The other most important financial decision he'll ever make will be whom he marries.
Oh, yeah. My Ex was a financial disaster with more "wants" than our budget could handle. It did not end well. I also worked with a guy who married an MD but then she decided she wanted to stay home with the kids. They were still paying off her student loans. Nothing wrong with wanting a stay-at-home spouse (my late mother and my wonderful DIL are shining examples) but make sure it's feasible if that's what you both want.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
1) My greatest financial advice I can give anyone is this: SAVE MONEY. If you don't know how to save your money, nothing else matters. Buy what you need, not what you want.

2) Protect What You Have. Have the proper Insurance to cover yourself in the event of Lawsuit, Illness, and Death.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:45 PM

71 posts, read 143,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, the fact that you know what FU money and FIRE stand for means that you already know what he needs to do even if perhaps you don't do it yourself. Have him start with MMM. Give him a collection of personal finance classics as a graduation gift.
Thanks. I first learned about FU and FIRE from a podcast called Afford Anything. I assume MMM stands for Mr. Money Mustache podcast?

Old 06-04-2019, 04:57 PM

71 posts, read 143,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Sometimes living with parents is a good way to save up for a down payment on a house, if he wants to do that.
I was sucessful in convincing one of my daugthers to do just that, staying at home, skipping the apartment phase and went straight to home ownership.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:58 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah. My Ex was a financial disaster with more "wants" than our budget could handle. It did not end well. I also worked with a guy who married an MD but then she decided she wanted to stay home with the kids. They were still paying off her student loans. Nothing wrong with wanting a stay-at-home spouse (my late mother and my wonderful DIL are shining examples) but make sure it's feasible if that's what you both want.
Yup, financial problems are the #2 most cited reason for divorce.

Who you marry can be a great financial asset - my wife has more than doubled our net worth not only because of her career but because she influenced me to make good decisions I might not have made otherwise.

But I've had friends whose ex-wives cleaned them out, & they basically started from scratch.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
10% of annual salary, and don't look back.
IMO, max it out.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Sometimes living with parents is a good way to save up for a down payment on a house, if he wants to do that.
Absolutely I lived with my mother until she passed away. I saved a ton of money on living expenses (I still paid her modest rent, took care of food, and chores/home maintenance) and she got the assistance she needed in old age to be able to continue to live in her house. I built up a pretty large nest egg.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHoustonOpinion View Post
I was sucessful in convincing one of my daugthers to do just that, staying at home, skipping the apartment phase and went straight to home ownership.
I have had parents try similar things on me, and some well-meaning friends, but usually I explain to them that it doesn't make financial sense for me to go from renting a room to buying anything bigger than a single room. If this approach doesn't work, then I intimidate them with fancy financial math that they won't follow or understand, which usually gets them to be quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance