Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not aware of it benefiting your credit score to pay it off. however, the interest rate is a bit high so id want to expedite paying off the loan.
I paid off a car loan about six months early and my credit score went down. Its pretty high right now, so I didn't care a lot. However, the stated reason was that by paying off the loan that "I closed an account".

Not, what I expected. However, not all reasons for raising and lowering credit scores make much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I paid off a car loan about six months early and my credit score went down. Its pretty high right now, so I didn't care a lot. However, the stated reason was that by paying off the loan that "I closed an account".

Not, what I expected. However, not all reasons for raising and lowering credit scores make much sense.
Completely closing an account will cause a short term drop in your credit score. You've already reaped the benefits of your payment history.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Paying off installment loans of any sort (personal, student, mortgage, auto, etc....) doesn't give the huge bang for buck credit score wise many assume.

Installment loans are factored differently than revolving credit. In fact having a mix of debt that includes such borrowing can actually boost one's credit score.

Main issue lies with installment loans aren't like revolving credit. You already borrowed a certain sum, and interest is baked into the cake. All that remains is making on time payments until the total amount is paid off. There isn't any "utilization" to speak off because again you've borrowed a fixed amount.

All things considered it is usually best to pay down credit card debt, and or once balances reach zero to not carry a balance, while making on time payments to installment loans.

Primary reason for paying off any installment loan is to get it over with, and thus save on interest. But this only works if lender does not have pre-payment penalties, and or there is a way to get additional money towards principal only. The latter should lower amount subject to interest and thus save some money. But again you have to do the sums.

Main reason many pay off installment loans early (besides saving interest) is to get their monthly debt to income ratio down. This comes into play say when looking to buy real estate and total monthly nut to service debt is calculated against income.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
My FICO score from my credit union is 808.
One factor keeping it that low is the lack of an installment loan.
As far as I can tell, getting a car loan would raise my score.
LOL

Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks everyone, yes I have a credit card, and a business credit card (I'm here in the US on an investor's visa and the more I spend here the better my chances of visa renewal are so I spend a LOT - last years biz expenses were over $250,000, mostly on a card).
I hope you're utilizing some kind of rewards credit card to maximize the credit card spending

Old 06-06-2019, 07:20 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
I tried to sign for my grandson's car and was turned down. Bank said that their is no record of me ever borrowing money - I'm 74 and own 3 homes, 2 cars, and have enough money to pay cash for whatever car I want. My credit card gets paid off every month, and my "credit score" is 775-ish.
Not the OP issue but maybe you're turned down because of your age. Were you trying to CO-sign for HIS loan? or would it have been YOUR loan?
Either way, you're 74 -- and of course could have 20 more years to live... BUT if you we're co-signing for a very young person who has no credit history, and YOU croak -- the bank would have only a limited amount of time to make a claim against your estate, would it need to. What business would want that hassle?

Again, I don't know why you were turned down, I'm just wondering.....
Age/income/job etc. are reasons people are told make purchases and get loans before retiring.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:44 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Check your credit utilization, if it's too high that negatively impacts your score. Ideally keep utilization below 20%, so ask for more credit if you need to lower utilization.
This is the key. Especially if you already have a good credit rating. You want to keep your debt to income ratio low, believe it or not have huge amounts of unused credit. When I got a credit card with a $30k balance that I rarely use, my credit rating shot up to around 830 or so. Like others , it boosts my ego, but does t really serve me otherwise.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I hope you're utilizing some kind of rewards credit card to maximize the credit card spending
Yep, for sure!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:56 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Paying off installment loans of any sort (personal, student, mortgage, auto, etc....) doesn't give the huge bang for buck credit score wise many assume.

Installment loans are factored differently than revolving credit. In fact having a mix of debt that includes such borrowing can actually boost one's credit score.

Main issue lies with installment loans aren't like revolving credit. You already borrowed a certain sum, and interest is baked into the cake. All that remains is making on time payments until the total amount is paid off. There isn't any "utilization" to speak off because again you've borrowed a fixed amount.

All things considered it is usually best to pay down credit card debt, and or once balances reach zero to not carry a balance, while making on time payments to installment loans.

Primary reason for paying off any installment loan is to get it over with, and thus save on interest. But this only works if lender does not have pre-payment penalties, and or there is a way to get additional money towards principal only. The latter should lower amount subject to interest and thus save some money. But again you have to do the sums.

Main reason many pay off installment loans early (besides saving interest) is to get their monthly debt to income ratio down. This comes into play say when looking to buy real estate and total monthly nut to service debt is calculated against income.
all the free credit scores from the credit cards are actually bank card scores not comprehensive credit scores ..they pretty much weight credit card use very heavily and discount everything else

Old 06-07-2019, 05:17 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I tried to sign for my grandson's car and was turned down. Bank said that their is no record of me ever borrowing money - I'm 74 and own 3 homes, 2 cars, and have enough money to pay cash for whatever car I want. My credit card gets paid off every month, and my "credit score" is 775-ish.
Makes me laugh at the irony. Technically you are such a bad credit risk that you are “forced” to pay cash for everything.

We older folk weren’t exposed so simply to credit cards when we were younger. Especially women were not expected to deserve, want, or need their own credit. That changed about 1970 when everyone started getting offers for cards. But if you established good financial habits before then you may never have gone after that kind of credit. And you are probably better off than most because of that. Not that credit cards don’t have their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance