Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use or know of a good iPhone app that I could use to log my personal spending? Preferably something that is cloud based so I could access it on the bigger computer monitor, but that is not necessary. Or, if you know of a good app for the MAC computer I could use that as well.

I know I could just use the notepad or a spreadsheet, but I figure there are apps already out there for everything.

I just want to log all of the money that I spend, I want to be able to log the amount, type of payment, where the money was spent, and what for.

Examples:
$7 - cash - bagel store - lunch me and whoever
$45 - Chase card - ShopRite - groceries and sundries
$175 - Debit from checking - Farmers Insurance - Premium payment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Sounds kind of like redundant effort. Your cc and bank accounts log all these things for you. You had to draw the cash from somewhere too, so maybe all you'd need is a way to memo cash spent.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
My favorite is the Dave Ramsey approved Every Dollar. You can log in online and or download the app for the iPhone, and I would imagine that the online program and the app would work together. Every Dollar is free, but they also have an Every Dollar Plus version

https://www.daveramsey.com/store/product/everydollar-budget-app

Old 06-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sounds kind of like redundant effort. Your cc and bank accounts log all these things for you. You had to draw the cash from somewhere too, so maybe all you'd need is a way to memo cash spent.
I'd like to have it all in one place.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Not at all. That’s a very inefficient way to track expenses and not sortable at all.

OP - I use an app called “Spending” for iPhone, it’s exactly what you’re looking for and has cloud backups. I love it! I started using it for personal expenses many years ago, eventually stopped but it’s still my main business accounting tool and allows me to track monthly revenue and profits, identify categories where most is spent, and I can export a large PDF of expenses and income to my accountant at year’s end. It’s awesome! You’ll like it I think.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Not at all. That’s a very inefficient way to track expenses and not sortable at all.

OP - I use an app called “Spending” for iPhone, it’s exactly what you’re looking for and has cloud backups. I love it! I started using it for personal expenses many years ago, eventually stopped but it’s still my main business accounting tool and allows me to track monthly revenue and profits, identify categories where most is spent, and I can export a large PDF of expenses and income to my accountant at year’s end. It’s awesome! You’ll like it I think.
Thanks!

It is called just "Spending"? The one I found with that name only has 2 reviews, the icon is a blue square with a white dollar sign. Is that it?

Old 06-16-2019, 02:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well, how complex someone's financial life happens to be will obviously play into it. My financial life is simple. I use the features on my bank and cc institutional websites to track and categorize expenses. I just don't need to do all that minute to minute recording and don't live with eyes glued to a screen. It's not that I don't see why someone would want to use such an app, I do. My father had all of us keeping ledgers, reconciling and tracking our allowances before we could ride a 10 speed bike. He also spent the vast majority of his waking life documenting and analyzing every dime whether necessary or not. Mostly was not. While I couldn't say how much of a benefit all of that effort created over his entire life, I was the one he talked about it with for decades. When I took over his spending the last few years I didn't see that it made much difference. The amount of sheer effort it took to keep it all current was insane. Sort of a poster child for "past the point of diminishing returns"!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-16-2019 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerz View Post
Thanks!

It is called just "Spending"? The one I found with that name only has 2 reviews, the icon is a blue square with a white dollar sign. Is that it?
No the icon is like a tan wallet with money in it and it’s just called Spending when you download it but on the App Store it’s the result that says “Spending Tracker.”

Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Well, how complex someone's financial life happens to be will obviously play into it. My financial life is simple. I use the features on my bank and cc institutional websites to track and categorize expenses. I just don't need to do all that minute to minute recording and don't live with eyes glued to a screen. It's not that I don't see why someone would want to use such an app, I do. My father had all of us keeping ledgers, reconciling and tracking our allowances before we could ride a 10 speed bike. He also spent the vast majority of his waking life documenting and analyzing every dime whether necessary or not. Mostly was not. While I couldn't say how much of a benefit all of that effort created over his entire life, I was the one he talked about it with for decades. When I took over his spending the last few years I didn't see that it made much difference. The amount of sheer effort it took to keep it all current was insane. Sort of a poster child for "past the point of diminishing returns"!
Yes, because it absolutely has to be that extreme, there’s definitely no middle ground

Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerz View Post
Does anyone use or know of a good iPhone app that I could use to log my personal spending? Preferably something that is cloud based so I could access it on the bigger computer monitor, but that is not necessary. Or, if you know of a good app for the MAC computer I could use that as well.

I know I could just use the notepad or a spreadsheet, but I figure there are apps already out there for everything.

I just want to log all of the money that I spend, I want to be able to log the amount, type of payment, where the money was spent, and what for.

Examples:
$7 - cash - bagel store - lunch me and whoever
$45 - Chase card - ShopRite - groceries and sundries
$175 - Debit from checking - Farmers Insurance - Premium payment
MINT.

https://www.mint.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance