Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM

844 posts, read 1,446,610 times

Advertisements

I've used H&R BLOCK and TAXHAWK in the past for free (state return isn't free), for reasons I don't want to tell, I need another website to file my federal return for free.

All suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM

2,751 posts, read 1,789,639 times
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free

Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I need another website to file my federal return for free.
All suggestions are appreciated.
Print the forms and mail them in

Old 03-16-2020, 12:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,448,982 times
Freetaxusa for fed and some states have a dor website that is free.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:44 PM

6,779 posts, read 5,499,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Our tax preparation for cancelled due to (groan) the corona virus. That was supposed to be done March 19, but with everything shutting down, they joined THAT party, leaving us stranded.

We do not have a computer.

Can we file electronically from a smart phone?

Is the IRS going to extend deadlines?

Questions, questions.

I've been laid off indefinitely, my OH has two part time jobs, the second part time job has shut down "until further notice".....

Grr

Old 03-16-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Our tax preparation for cancelled due to (groan) the corona virus. That was supposed to be done March 19, but with everything shutting down, they joined THAT party, leaving us stranded.

Questions, questions.

I've been laid off indefinitely, my OH has two part time jobs, the second part time job has shut down "until further notice".....

Grr

Yes on filing with your phone. No announcement has been made yet about extending filing or payment due dates, but I would be shocked if they didn't.

IR-2017-21, Feb. 2, 2017

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service today announced that taxpayers now may use their smart phones or tablets to electronically prepare and file their federal and state tax returns through IRS Free File.

The IRS and its private-sector partners who offer their brand-name software products for free now support a new design that allows for the use of desktops, laptops, mobile phones and tablets.

You may access the products using mobile devices in two ways: (1) Use the IRS app, IRS2Go, which has a link to the Free File Software Lookup Tool or (2) use the device’s browser to go to www.IRS.gov/freefile and select the “Free File Software Lookup Tool” or “Start Free File Now” to find the software product that matches your situation. The IRS2Go app is available for Android and iOS devices.

Taxpayers with adjusted gross income of $64,000 or less will find one or more free software options. Each of the 12 software providers set the eligibility requirements for their product, generally based on age, income or state residency. The Free File Software Lookup Tool asks a few questions to help you identify the appropriate software products.

Some partners offer free federal and free state tax return preparation; some charge a fee for state return preparation. Active duty military personnel whose income was $64,000 or less are exempt from any eligibility requirements and may use any Free File product they choose to file their federal return for free.

The Free File software allows for free electronic tax preparation and filing and direct deposit of refunds. Some taxpayers may need their 2015 adjusted gross income if they filed a return, in order to validate their identities and complete the electronic filing process.

Also, taxpayers who are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit are reminded that, by law, the IRS must hold refunds that contain those credits until February 15. The refunds likely won’t arrive into taxpayers’ financial accounts until the week of February 27.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:47 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
CreditKarma.com
I did my return for grins to compare with tax prep firm of 40 years.
Very close.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
CreditKarma.com
I did my return for grins to compare with tax prep firm of 40 years.
Very close.
Are you back from Italy?

Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 AM

844 posts, read 1,446,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Freetaxusa for fed and some states have a dor website that is free.
Alot of websites charge for State returns..how much does FREETAXUSA charge for state?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Questions, questions.

Grr

Mnuchin announced tax payments can be delayed 90 days beyond April 15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance