Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 12:25 PM

18,511 posts, read 15,940,221 times

Advertisements

FYI, in case you're not aware. The age right now that one must start taking RMDs is in the year they turn 72. That increased awhile back. So, when calculating your withdrawals and such to age 85, as you said you wanted to do, use age 72 as your first RMD year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 PM

13,153 posts, read 7,651,374 times
OP,
You will have to make certain future assumptions to make a guesstimate for the future.
post #30, is a possible assumption.

Old 01-23-2022, 04:59 PM

37,807 posts, read 46,321,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
No the letter had the exact amounts. I worked out the % for the post a I am being vague as the exact amount are my business.
I figured that was the case, as that is a normal RMD notice. (And I don't care about your amounts I assure you.)

So, you got an RMD notice. Okay.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:06 PM

13,153 posts, read 7,651,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
https://smartasset.com/retirement/how-to-calculate-rmd

Assume $100,000.
Assume retired at age 70.
Estimate of yearly required withdrawals.
We'd like to see an estimate of how much we'd still have in the IRA at age 85.
Thanks.
I asked a similar question in 2008, when I was caring for my Mother. Our age 58/61.
Ultimately I came to the conclusion that "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" for money rules.
Thus inorder to predict how much money you will have far into the future, you will have to fix the knowns, and this also equates to risk fees.

example1: Buy-writes Long Leaps will fix the outcome in the generally an Index future. However the cost for this will be enormous to execute today and still have a chance of not succeeding.
Example2: You can either fix the minimum or maximum using long call or long put leaps.
Example3: Mortgages. The bank will generally sell the mortgage to FannieMae who will package the mortgages into bond packages to be sold to institutions and individuals who will assume the rate and possibly the repayment risk. The bank may even do the packaging themselves and sell them as bond tranches (shades of 2000-2008)
Example4: credit cards. Shortterm credit. unsecured. Banks offer these because they think they can make money on the spread between the cost of their borrowing and what they get from your interest payment. Again 2000-2008.

I opted for long GLWB annuities. The annuity company tells you the risk fees. The guarantee, is a minimum amount annual withdrawal benefit, to you, when you exercise, 1 to 10 years into the future (2019, 2018); We have newer 2 GLWB 2018 vintage annuities with 15 year option (2033) but exercised in 2021. I would Not know the maximum which could theoretically be unlimited, but below SP500 because of the loss in fee compounding & depending on fund selection within the annuity.
You CanNOT purchase these annuities today because the annuity companies assumed too much market risk for the option fees received and thus no longer offering them...there is No Free Lunch for anyone.

reference;
Your financial advisor(s).
Wade Pfau, Safety-First retirement planning, 2019. {currently reading}
Wade Pfau, How Much Can I Spend in Retirement, {on hold at library}
sim firecalc.
Private communications with older bro, Phd Economics, career banker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance