Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 11:02 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I don't, but I am open to it.

As I mentioned in my OP, liquidity is a big concern for me. Putting extra money away that I can't touch until X date has little appeal to me. I know that you can typically access your IRAs at any time for any reason, but it usually comes with tax penalties, too.
If you can't stomach $7k for a ROTH and 10k for an IBond, then you need to keep that "flush cash" in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 11:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 633,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
There are some exceptions for the Roth account. As I recall, five years after the account is opened you can pull any or all of your contributions without penalty. (Any investment return would be subject to penalty if withdrawn early, though). Since liquidity is a concern, at least get those accounts opened with a small amount of money to get the clock started. Then once you hit the five-year mark you can max them out each year.

My memory could be a bit rusty on this, so please verify.
Roth contributions are after-tax, so you can withdraw your contributions at any time without penalty. The 5-year rule you're referring to is for gains on said contributions. So the 10% penalty would be applicable if gains are taken out of the account before 5 years; however, there are exceptions to the penalty, similar to a traditional IRA.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:47 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,119,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you can't stomach $7k for a ROTH and 10k for an IBond, then you need to keep that "flush cash" in the bank.
I have more than enough to start either of those funds today multiple times over.

But as I said, liquidity is a concern. I'm not looking for a vehicle to house my money in for the next 20-30 years that I can't touch without penalty.

If either option allows me the ability to access those funds at any time, without penalty, then I would consider it.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post
Roth contributions are after-tax, so you can withdraw your contributions at any time without penalty. The 5-year rule you're referring to is for gains on said contributions. So the 10% penalty would be applicable if gains are taken out of the account before 5 years; however, there are exceptions to the penalty, similar to a traditional IRA.
This definitely seems more reasonable. I can certainly stomach waiting 5 years.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:53 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,082,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post
Ok. Thanks for the correction. I'm not able to stuff all of the retirement account rules into my brain, apparently.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I have more than enough to start either of those funds today multiple times over.

But as I said, liquidity is a concern. I'm not looking for a vehicle to house my money in for the next 20-30 years that I can't touch without penalty.

If either option allows me the ability to access those funds at any time, without penalty, then I would consider it.
You can withdraw Roth individual retirement account contributions at any time.

I-Bonds can be cashed out after one year. You will sacrifice only the last 3 months interest.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You can withdraw Roth individual retirement account contributions at any time.

I-Bonds can be cashed out after one year. You will sacrifice only the last 3 months interest.
I think the Roth is probably the best option based on what I'm gathering. I'll also be sticking with my ETF portfolio, because I can buy/sell that off any time without penalties.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think the Roth is probably the best option based on what I'm gathering. I'll also be sticking with my ETF portfolio, because I can buy/sell that off any time without penalties.

FYI, the current interest rate on I bonds is 9.62 percent. You can buy I bonds at that rate through October 2022.

( I doubt it will go down much in November, but I do hope it goes down just for the greater good LOL.)

Old 08-05-2022, 12:59 PM

426 posts, read 271,611 times
If you have 1 year of living expenses in an emergency fund, that is probably enough liquid $. The rest of the money could be put to other uses.

You said that you are putting 11% into your 401K, and that counts the employer contribution. This seems low to me. Also, are you guys single income? If not, what percentage is spouse contributing to their retirement account? It would be a good idea to use a retirement calculator to ensure you are on track there.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:09 PM

25,609 posts, read 17,351,439 times
Quote:
Flush with cash, don't really need anything
You will, OP. Some day you will need something.
Make the extra payment to yourself; that is, put it in the bank.

Here is how and why I say that:
How: Put ALL your paycheck in a money market account and draw out only what you will spend that month. Draw it on the first.
Why: That makes the extra car payment and extra house payment automatically. The "payment" is in the form of the money left in your account after you drew what you needed. That way, when you want to pay off your car or your house, the money will be there.

Background: We retired in 2010. In my working life my income varied greatly during the year. I started doing what I suggested many, many years ago. It solved a LOT of problems. If I wanted a car today I could buy it and pay cash - after all I have been making "payments" for many years, but I made them to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance