Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 11:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,300 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this card? I put some big purchases on a credit card six months ago and have 6 months left on my 0% offer so I was slowly looking to find another alternative after that. If I can keep the rate at 0% for another term I see no reason to pay it off.

Citi simplicity currently boasts a 21 month 0% offer. Has this been a standing offer for years like chase slate or discover IT 0% offers or is this a current teaser incentive?

Trying to determine if I should wait 4-6 months to apply for it or do it now. I have six months left on my current 0% offer. 760 credit score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 08:23 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Does anyone know anything about this card? I put some big purchases on a credit card six months ago and have 6 months left on my 0% offer so I was slowly looking to find another alternative after that. If I can keep the rate at 0% for another term I see no reason to pay it off.

Citi simplicity currently boasts a 21 month 0% offer. Has this been a standing offer for years like chase slate or discover IT 0% offers or is this a current teaser incentive?

Trying to determine if I should wait 4-6 months to apply for it or do it now. I have six months left on my current 0% offer. 760 credit score.
If you made big purchase time to pay it off. You have 6 payments left to keep 0% interest.
You could have had 12 payments to pay it off so now will have to be twice what you could have paid.
A score of 760 is low. You could make it higher.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,048,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post

Usually the only difference is in the transfer fees. I haven't seen a 0% transfer fee in years. If you have multiples offers, just go with the one with the lower fee. Of course you also have to consider the offer length (21 months is pretty good).

Old 09-16-2023, 10:50 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
That Citi simplicity offer has been around for many years. I would wait until you’re closer to the end of your current 0% offer before applying.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
That Citi simplicity offer has been around for many years. I would wait until you’re closer to the end of your current 0% offer before applying.
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2023, 11:00 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
And, of course, factor in the fees:

"Balance Transfer Fee: Intro balance transfer fee of $5 or 3% of the amount of the transfer, whichever is greater for transfers completed within 4 months of account opening. After that, 5% of each transfer (minimum $5)."

Old 09-18-2023, 03:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
3% fee for 21 months of 0% interest is a great deal. Especially with savings rates hovering around 5%

Old 09-20-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
3% fee for 21 months of 0% interest is a great deal. Especially with savings rates hovering around 5%
On another account I wrote myself a check for $26,000 for 1.99% for 12 months and put it straight into a savings account earning nearly 5%. Easiest $700 I’ll make this year most likely. The credit card churning bonuses are more work and the checking account bonuses require me switching my direct deposit.

To me free money just feels so much better than working for it or even passive money from investments.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:27 PM

21,912 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
It depends on when you pay if off. If you pay it off earlier in the cycle, it's not a good deal. Personally, I would rather be debt free than play that game.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Quote:
In a frictionless world, sure. In practice you're doing the legwork of getting the card, putting the transfer through, and then managing another card that otherwise has no value after the period is over or closing it and having a short length credit card on your history reducing average length of credit. The fee is less than the time value of money currently but it eats a large portion of the surplus value that makes all the gymnastics worth doing if what you're going for is putting the balance in a high yield savings account or t-bills until just before the 0% period ends. I guess if the balance or expected spending is very large and you can get a large enough limit to absorb it could be worthwhile still but eh.

I did get a card once for other purposes that had an interest free period and you can bet I paid the minimum and kept the balance invested until near the date it needed to be paid, but I wouldn't get a card just to do that. It's more for people who have a balance they can't pay and are avoiding 20% credit card interest than people trying to scalp a couple percent difference between time value of money and the balance transfer fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance