Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:43 PM

14 posts, read 18,515 times

Advertisements

Majority of purchases I make are online and have it shipped. Whenever I go a supermarket or clothing store, I always use cash. I don't think I used a debit or credit card in years when paying for groceries or buying clothes. Is that very rare since almost everyone uses a card to pay these days? Talking about the US.

The other thing I thought of was this. Say you make a purchase and you use your debit or credit card to pay. What percentage of the time the cashier ask to see ID just to make sure you are that person using the debit or credit card? It seems rare? I haven't witnessed it that much unless it's a big purchase of some sort? Or they do it if it's over a certain amount? So some places it could be small amounts but other places it's higher? So if someone was using someone else's debit or credit card to make purchases at a grocery shore or clothing store and makes a big purchase, assuming the person who had their card stolen reports it... the bank eats it up every single time? Is that true? Since the thief is already out with the food or merchandise?
If that is the case, shouldn't any cashier check the ID of each person everytime they use a debit or credit card even if it could be a food purchase at burger king or would that be ridiculous?

The other issue I thought was this. Say you purchase groceries or clothing at a store. When you put your debit or credit card to make payment, assuming they don't ask for ID, what information is shown to the cashier? I believe it's the customer's full name correct? So if it's obviously a name that isn't that person, what happens? Also there are 2 more things I believe but I forgot what it is that it shows on the screen? Also when you pay with debit or credit... .what exactly do you enter after you swipe the card? I know it's the pin but you also have to type the zip code? And if so, which one is first? I ask this because I haven't used a debit or credit long in a store in years. Only use credit card for online purchases.

Another big issue is this. Now let say you use your debit or credit card to buy groceries or starbucks or clothes. If they ask you for your ID, isn't one big issue is that person now could remember your name and write it down for a bad reason? Also they could write your full debit or credit card number down and make purchases with it? Of course the issue with this is well they have to have your card for a while but just taking a photo of the back and front is enough right since it has the 3 digit code and expiration date? But they still need to know your zip code right? Well that wouldn't be that hard since you can find people information online? And when this person uses the card to make purchases online... is the bank on the hook for it again if the customer reports it? So the thief gets always if these are online purchases? However, they going to send the items under someone else's name to not get caught and use an amazon pickup location?

Now there is an even bigger issue with using card to make purchases. The bigger issue I have with this is wouldn't store employees when you use a debit or credit card to make a purchase who then ask for your ID to match it... well some people can easily remember a name and address pretty well right. So when you get asked for ID, well that person could remember your name and address and write it down on paper very fast or on their phone if you look like someone with money and thus they know where you live? Or say you purchase a lot of expensive items and go to the store to pick it up... well they require an ID usually right? So that person give the store employee their ID and now the store employee knows that person's name and address which would put the customer in jeopardy in they have bad intentions?

I didn't think about these things until now but is using a debit or credit card and being asked for ID actually putting you at risk though if the employee is a bad employee? So using cash gives you anonymity. Anyone here feel similar on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 11:37 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjoe View Post

Another big issue is this. Now let say you use your debit or credit card to buy groceries or starbucks or clothes. If they ask you for your ID, isn't one big issue is that person now could remember your name and write it down for a bad reason? Also they could write your full debit or credit card number down and make purchases with it?
It is rare to get asked for an id anymore with the digital chips in the new cards. If I get asked for an ID I would just decline to show it. It is against the terms of service for Visa and Mastercard to require an id for purchase.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/no-i...chases-3974686

"Visa
Merchants can ask for an ID, but cannot require it as a condition of purchase if the credit card is signed."

Mastercard
In most cases, merchants can request but may not require an ID to complete the transaction"

I almost always use a card for purchases in order to collect reward points. However I will not use a card in restaurants where they take the card away from me at the table in order to process the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjoe View Post
Also when you pay with debit or credit... .what exactly do you enter after you swipe the card? I know it's the pin but you also have to type the zip code?
They only ask for the zip code at self service gas stations.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Sure you can use cash for everything in person, but then you're at risk for theft without any recourse on getting your funds back. If someone steals your cc info and makes purchases, a simple phone call can make you whole. I don't use a debit card for any purchase as I feel you don't have as much protection as a credit card.

A crook doesn't need you card to find where you live they can just follow you home.

Personally I don't lose any sleep on using card purchases at groceries or restaurants. I've had a cards get compromised and a phone call is all it took to set things right. In a matter of days a new card was in my hands. The biggest "theft" I had was someone got login credentials on a credit card portal and cashed in my rewards points to buy gift cards. After I reported it, they reset my account and I had my rewards points back in a week.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:02 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
You have a lot of assumptions there... and you are mistakenly thinking a debit card and a credit card are the same thing.
They are not.

I use a credit card all the time, with very few exceptions. I don't worry about any of the things you mention, OP.
I do not have a debit card.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:13 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
I had $3200 removed from a checking account. Reported it to the bank, had the funds put back into my account within 3 days, not a big deal.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 913,347 times
I haven't used cash in years, except in emergencies when their registers are down. I always keep a $20 bill folded up in my wallet.

I rarely use my debit because I'm not covered if my info is stolen at a swipe machine. I always use my bank CC so that I can dispute fraud if needed. Of course, I could dispute fraud on my debit, but then they have to close your account and issue you a new number and card, and that can take days. I'd rather not risk it. I just move the money from my checking to my bank CC and call it a day.

There's no way I would carry cash around because I could get robbed, lose my wallet, drop the cash, etc. There's no protection at all with cash.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:42 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
I’m not sure where the logical route is that cash would be safer in person than cc. It makes zero sense to me

Old 12-13-2023, 08:52 AM

774 posts, read 1,050,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I haven't used cash in years, except in emergencies when their registers are down. I always keep a $20 bill folded up in my wallet.

I rarely use my debit because I'm not covered if my info is stolen at a swipe machine. I always use my bank CC so that I can dispute fraud if needed. Of course, I could dispute fraud on my debit, but then they have to close your account and issue you a new number and card, and that can take days. I'd rather not risk it. I just move the money from my checking to my bank CC and call it a day.

There's no way I would carry cash around because I could get robbed, lose my wallet, drop the cash, etc. There's no protection at all with cash.
The only thing I use my debit card for is to get cash once in a while. If you have fraud on a CC, I'm curious why any bank wouldn't close the account? I've had fraud happen several times and my bank always closes the account. One exception (sort of): My wife and I have several joint CCs (separate card numbers) and I'm the primary cardholder. A couple of times she's had fraud on her card, which the bank closed but did not close my account.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:24 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
Short answer, yes.....

Old 12-13-2023, 09:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
The only thing I use my debit card for is to get cash once in a while. If you have fraud on a CC, I'm curious why any bank wouldn't close the account? I've had fraud happen several times and my bank always closes the account. One exception (sort of): My wife and I have several joint CCs (separate card numbers) and I'm the primary cardholder. A couple of times she's had fraud on her card, which the bank closed but did not close my account.
The bank “closes” (Hot Cards) your CC number so the card no longer functions and so that card number can never be issued in the future. That does not close your CC account. It just changes your card number. You still have a CC account with the bank with the same credit limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance