Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 10:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjoe View Post
Majority of purchases I make are online and have it shipped. Whenever I go a supermarket or clothing store, I always use cash. I don't think I used a debit or credit card in years when paying for groceries or buying clothes. Is that very rare since almost everyone uses a card to pay these days? Talking about the US.

The other thing I thought of was this. Say you make a purchase and you use your debit or credit card to pay. What percentage of the time the cashier ask to see ID just to make sure you are that person using the debit or credit card? It seems rare? I haven't witnessed it that much unless it's a big purchase of some sort? Or they do it if it's over a certain amount? So some places it could be small amounts but other places it's higher? So if someone was using someone else's debit or credit card to make purchases at a grocery shore or clothing store and makes a big purchase, assuming the person who had their card stolen reports it... the bank eats it up every single time? Is that true? Since the thief is already out with the food or merchandise?
If that is the case, shouldn't any cashier check the ID of each person everytime they use a debit or credit card even if it could be a food purchase at burger king or would that be ridiculous?

The other issue I thought was this. Say you purchase groceries or clothing at a store. When you put your debit or credit card to make payment, assuming they don't ask for ID, what information is shown to the cashier? I believe it's the customer's full name correct? So if it's obviously a name that isn't that person, what happens? Also there are 2 more things I believe but I forgot what it is that it shows on the screen? Also when you pay with debit or credit... .what exactly do you enter after you swipe the card? I know it's the pin but you also have to type the zip code? And if so, which one is first? I ask this because I haven't used a debit or credit long in a store in years. Only use credit card for online purchases.

Another big issue is this. Now let say you use your debit or credit card to buy groceries or starbucks or clothes. If they ask you for your ID, isn't one big issue is that person now could remember your name and write it down for a bad reason? Also they could write your full debit or credit card number down and make purchases with it? Of course the issue with this is well they have to have your card for a while but just taking a photo of the back and front is enough right since it has the 3 digit code and expiration date? But they still need to know your zip code right? Well that wouldn't be that hard since you can find people information online? And when this person uses the card to make purchases online... is the bank on the hook for it again if the customer reports it? So the thief gets always if these are online purchases? However, they going to send the items under someone else's name to not get caught and use an amazon pickup location?

Now there is an even bigger issue with using card to make purchases. The bigger issue I have with this is wouldn't store employees when you use a debit or credit card to make a purchase who then ask for your ID to match it... well some people can easily remember a name and address pretty well right. So when you get asked for ID, well that person could remember your name and address and write it down on paper very fast or on their phone if you look like someone with money and thus they know where you live? Or say you purchase a lot of expensive items and go to the store to pick it up... well they require an ID usually right? So that person give the store employee their ID and now the store employee knows that person's name and address which would put the customer in jeopardy in they have bad intentions?

I didn't think about these things until now but is using a debit or credit card and being asked for ID actually putting you at risk though if the employee is a bad employee? So using cash gives you anonymity. Anyone here feel similar on this?

I have no problem using a credit card, I do not use my debit card for anything but at the bank due to it is like cash, gone until the bank resolves any disputes. Even if your credit card number is stolen, you aren't responsible provided you let them know within a certain time frame. I check my credit card account pretty frequently. You can also have emails sent every time it is used. If you see an issue call the number on the back and you aren't responsible for paying anything. They will close your account and open a new one sending the card usually within 24 hours. I think carrying around a lot of cash or visiting ATM's outside of inside your bank can be more dangerous than a credit card (well unless you are one who can not handle credit) due to scanners put on the machines.

I rarely get asked for an ID using my credit card. Only time was recently when I bought 10 gift cards for $50 each for security purposes to be sure the card wasn't stolen. Never for groceries at the same time.

I think you are overthinking this. I doubt anyone looks at your id just to memorize your address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 11:09 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I had $3200 removed from a checking account. Reported it to the bank, had the funds put back into my account within 3 days, not a big deal.
Yes, not to many but for some $3200 may mean a bill can't be paid. We had $2500 used when my husband's debit card number was stolen. I don't know why the bank didn't catch it right away since we never use it to pay for anything ever. I called they looked into it, but in the meantime the charge for some reason got reversed. I have no idea why or what happened to have the original company reverse the charges. We got him a new debit card and I put $0 purchasing power on it. I do have $100 on mine because I have a new bill pay for cell service that uses the debit card in order to get a discount every month.

Debit card for paying - No. Takes too long to get the money back into your account

Credit card - only thing you are out is time to change any automatic bills that use your credit card. My credit card company is great. When this happens they send me an email with all the companies that are billing monthly on it and if a bill comes through between the time I call them and get the new card they let it go through.

Cash - I don't like carrying around a large sums of cash. I rarely have anything in my wallet.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:17 AM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I had $3200 removed from a checking account. Reported it to the bank, had the funds put back into my account within 3 days, not a big deal.
nothing is a problem until it’s a problem .

as long as the bank doesn’t feel an investigation is needed no problem , the internet and our local news is filled with issues with debit cards that were not cut and dry .

in fact if a non approved visa network is used , and you have no control over what the bad guys use , you are not covered with a debit card ….its in the fine print on their zero liability clause.

also PIN transactions are not covered under Visa’s Zero Liability Policy)

my pin was stolen right from the banking system years ago on my debit card …the only reason they covered the loss was they saw i never ever used the card

Old 12-15-2023, 12:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I try to use cash when I can. I've been hacked a couple of times and it's a real pain getting a new card and then calling the companies who charge monthly to the card (gym, phone company, etc). I usually have at least a few hundred dollars on me, maybe up to a thousand. I don't worry about being robbed, because with the watches I wear I'm a mugging waiting to happen anyway.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjoe View Post
So using cash gives you anonymity. Anyone here feel similar on this?
A bigger issue is that when currency use drops below ~12%, there are plans for the nation to go cashless. At that point, everything you buy is subject to be tracked. We use cash because it's nobody's business what we buy.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I only use a CC because of the rewards but apparently some still do like using cash. A city near me (this year) is requiring all sales at their stores be done with credit cards. No cash sales. This decision was made in an effort to cut down on armed robberies. There's always an uptick in those around holidays along with porch pirate thefts. You can't win, either way.
Your currency is legal tender - a PRIVATE store can opt to not accept it except in states that have prohibited that (MA, NJ, RI, CO?, others??) A public entity cannot decline cash, but can limit the number of unrolled coins they will accept.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:53 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

I almost always use a card for purchases in order to collect reward points. However I will not use a card in restaurants where they take the card away from me at the table in order to process the purchase.
There's absolutely nothing to worry about with restaurant servers who may have smart phones that can take a pic of the front and back of the card in 5 secs and their copy of the receipt with your sig. Add photoshop and Ai tools to copy it and it's better than being a porch pirate. <--- That's a rare occurrence.
Most waiters and waitresses are a beacon of honesty, friendly and are there to provide outstanding service.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:57 AM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
anyone can duplicate checks today too .

even companies aren’t safe .

one can get all the officer signatures on any shareholder report , company logos on line , routing info , etc and make your own signed checks

Old 12-16-2023, 07:20 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
How many here have had their credit card used illegitimately and never got their money back from the issuer?

Old 12-16-2023, 07:32 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I only use a CC because of the rewards but apparently some still do like using cash. A city near me (this year) is requiring all sales at their stores be done with credit cards. No cash sales. This decision was made in an effort to cut down on armed robberies. There's always an uptick in those around holidays along with porch pirate thefts. You can't win, either way.
How is that legal? Forcing small businesses to pay more merchant fees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance