Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 03:15 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not a broad brush statement.

That is exactly my experience.

Were you withdraws RMD's???
Only from the inherited traditional IRAs before retirement. I am receiving disbursements from my TSP account now, but that withdrawal isn't an RMD. The "government" didn't set tax withholding for my TSP disbursements, I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 04:01 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
We pay far more taxes in retirement than we did working. During our working years, we used the long tax forms with many tax deductions using side businesses such as RE and Transportation.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...20distribution.

Just remember your tax federal tax bill is based on your social security plus your retirement accounts.

If you pay 20% and your total federal income was lower, when you do your federal income taxes, you'll be refunded for any overpayment. They might take out more each month, but you'll get a lump sum back.

Here are the tax brackets - https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...come-tax-rates
It is more than just social security plus your retirement accounts.

It includes dividends, capital gains, interest payments, business income, and employment income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What does the highlighted sentence mean?
That is what the highlighted sentence is about.

I had much more than just pension income and social security.

My goal is to withhold enough money that my final tax payment or refund is plus or minus 1,000 dollars.

The goal of the Federal government is for you to LOAN them thousands of dollars at ZERO percent interest. My objective is to loan them as little money as possible at zero percent interest.

I have a business and for 15 years after retirement also worked in emergency management for the Federal government. I did withhold money there to cover my tax liability, including the distributions from my traditional IRA.

It was always a guess on how much income I would make from emergency management assignments and my business.

I left my money in the TSP until the RMD requirements kicked in and the cluster started!!

Fortunately, my RMD's from the TSP are minimal so it is easier just to be quiet than make a big issue about having the Federal government follow the law.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:41 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
Please tell me that isn't so.
It isn't so. You may be confusing the automatic tax withholding on distribution versus your actual year end tax obligation. Many institutions will automatically withhold a certain amount unless you tell them not to withhold or specify a different percentage.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:05 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is more than just social security plus your retirement accounts.

It includes dividends, capital gains, interest payments, business income, and employment income.
Of course!

Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
20% Federal Tax Rate is the default recommended rate at the investment company which holds my Work 401k, converted to an IRA. But I can select whatever Federal rate I want, in 1% intervals. Same for my State Tax rate.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:14 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
20% Federal Tax Rate is the default recommended rate at the investment company which holds my Work 401k, converted to an IRA. But I can select whatever Federal rate I want, in 1% intervals. Same for my State Tax rate.
I believe 401k withdraws have a mandate, states vary with some requiring a min amount and others letting you specify

Old 01-03-2024, 12:08 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I believe 401k withdraws have a mandate, states vary with some requiring a min amount and others letting you specify
The IRS mandates a 20% withholding on 401K withdrawals. The service provider is required to withhold 20% for federal income tax. If you effectively only owe, say, 15% at tax time, then you have to wait until you file your taxes to get that 5% back. One can avoid that by rolling the 401k withdrawal into an IRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance