Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,498,363 times

Advertisements

Never, ever, ever use a debt settlement company. Let me phrase that again,
NEVER, EVER, EVER use a debt settlement company. They are a bunch of parasites. If your debt is at all manageable, you can negotiate better terms on your debt, particularly credit cards.

About the only exception is Consumer Credit Counseling-a non-profit organization. They do a terrific job, not only will they assist in reducing your interest rates, they will teach you how to get your spending under control, how to budget, how to plan for major purchases. I cannot say enough good about CCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,567,021 times
Oh -- okay !! Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the establishment I used was with CCC.

A very good company, and - as Karla stated, I did not have any charge offs because I did pay my debt in full - just at a lowered interest rate.

While I did feel bad about getting in over my head and needing to use this service, I didn't feel too bad - as of course all the initial credit rates of 6 - 10% had ballooned to 25+% ...

So really, having the interest reduced back down to a reasonable amount didn't make me feel too guilty ... the cc companies still made a profit off of me - just a reasonable one!!

Anyone remember when LEGALLY the most they could charge you in interest was 21%

Ahh... those were the days!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance