Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have a duty to file our 'taxes' each year, and to do our best to avoid paying.

I decide how to spend my money.

Only folks who do not really care about their money just allow the government to take 25% - 40% of it from them.
is your tax situation pretty simple? married? children? have a personal business? how does your CPA do it? do you do your tax yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
is your tax situation pretty simple? married? children? have a personal business? how does your CPA do it? do you do your tax yourself?
My primary profession required a great deal of spending on my part to keep me competitive and up-to-date with my trade. Trade journals, tools, specialized clothing, travel, continuous advanced education courses.

Attending trade conferences during vacation trips are a good way to write-off travel.

I am married, we do have children.

We collected apartment buildings while I was in the Navy, so we had a collection of those. Then when I retired, we sold most of them and used the 'profits' to buy a farm, where we live now.

We do a little catering, I sell produce at a farmer's market,

We generally file a couple schedule 'C's [each 'C' represents a business]. We have operated many businesses over the years.

We file a schedule 'E' ['E's are used for rental properties]. As I said we used to have a collection of apartment buildings.

We file a schedule 'F' ['F's are used for farming things]. We have used 'F's are years, though only of recent do we actually have a farm. I started filing a 'F' when all I had was one bee hive in a city. 5.000 livestock in a manner of speaking.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM

14 posts, read 58,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My primary profession required a great deal of spending on my part to keep me competitive and up-to-date with my trade. Trade journals, tools, specialized clothing, travel, continuous advanced education courses.

Attending trade conferences during vacation trips are a good way to write-off travel.

I am married, we do have children.

We collected apartment buildings while I was in the Navy, so we had a collection of those. Then when I retired, we sold most of them and used the 'profits' to buy a farm, where we live now.

We do a little catering, I sell produce at a farmer's market,

We generally file a couple schedule 'C's [each 'C' represents a business]. We have operated many businesses over the years.

We file a schedule 'E' ['E's are used for rental properties]. As I said we used to have a collection of apartment buildings.

We file a schedule 'F' ['F's are used for farming things]. We have used 'F's are years, though only of recent do we actually have a farm. I started filing a 'F' when all I had was one bee hive in a city. 5.000 livestock in a manner of speaking.
I think that's why we pay a lot more tax than you whom don't have to, because we don't have rental property, since we need to save the money to buy a home to live.. we pretty much don't have business expense, we only provide service and the internet is all we need with our knowledge in our brain which isn't a business expense. My husband works for someone and he's income is more than average, so that's where a lot of tax goes...with just one child, that doesn't help much with the tax..does this make sense to you that we're paying so much tax? do we need an advisor to tell us what to do?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmo View Post
I think that's why we pay a lot more tax than you whom don't have to, because we don't have rental property, since we need to save the money to buy a home to live..
I have never paid any of my money to buy a house.

We have owned a few homes, but have always bought them zero-down and let the renters cover the mortgage payments.

We certainly may save your money to buy a home. That is one option. We feel that life is too short, and while one couple might still be saving for a home, we would have already collected three or four apartment buildings.

Quote:
... we pretty much don't have business expense, we only provide service and the internet is all we need with our knowledge in our brain which isn't a business expense. My husband works for someone and he's income is more than average, so that's where a lot of tax goes...with just one child, that doesn't help much with the tax..does this make sense to you that we're paying so much tax? do we need an advisor to tell us what to do?
You operate a business which does not cost you any money to operate, okay. I doubt that, but I will not argue the point with you.

Many folks commute to work, or have medical expenses, or have educational expenses; which are all write-offs.

Folks who have 'higher' incomes, have all the more reason to consider tax-planning.

I have never made over $100k/year, personally. So as you can see my income has always been fairly low. I congratulate your Dh on his higher income.

You might be well advised to seek a financial planner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance