Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM

36 posts, read 108,878 times

Advertisements

I purchased life insurance for my three kids back in 1996. Two for $60,000 and one for $90,000. I pay $114 a month for these. I know the return has gone down like everything else and I am really afraid to find out that I was "duped" and the person who signed me up for the policies has made more than the policies. I get booklets and from them that frankly I really don't understand except that like everything that is variable...it is going down. I read somewhere that these types of polcies start to pay off after 15 years and I have had them for 13 years. I can afford the $114 a month so that is not an issue. I am also not looking to make money as much as I am looking to secure something for grandchildren remaining family members etc. I would appreciate any information or advice and suggestion as to how to understand these policies and strategies for evaluating them. I am retiring within a year and need to make sure that I understand where my money is going and how to maximize it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Variable policies are subject to market conditions, which is why they are going down. You need to look at the long term gains for these policies but also keep a watch on the insurance costs as they can eat up any cash value. I am not a fan of variable policies but you can check your asset allocations to make sure they are in a more secure setting and then reallocate them to something you are more comfortable with. If you are looking for them to pay off for your grandchildren, I wouldn't worry too much about the current market conditions as you have what 40+ years to make up any losses.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. As I understand your response...as a long term investment...this may still be ok. So I should be looking at where the money is being invested and move it to the most secure at this time. Do I have to go back to the agent that set this up or should i go directly to prudential?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
golfgal gives good advice, but we have very different viewpoints on insurance. I prefer to use term insurance for risk coverage and cash savings, bonds, equities and real estate for wealth accumulation. I am not a fan of any cash value insurance and particularly dislike variable life. The fees involved can be really high and I've rarely met anyone who actually understands the cost structure of what they bought.
This is great time for long term equity investments via mutual funds or direct stock investments, especially in dividend paying stocks. The current economic meltdown will pass and a long term timeline should be very profitable. Wasting one's assets in unnecessary insurance commissions and fees is not advisable in my viewpoint. JMO.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
You can go directly to Pru to change your allocations......they may send you the paperwork directly or have an agent get in touch (no extra chrage)

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM

How can I find out what part of my monthly payment goes to commission fees and is ther anything I can do to minimize this?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltorres View Post
How can I find out what part of my monthly payment goes to commission fees and is ther anything I can do to minimize this?
No.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
I'm with Pilgrim, variable life is in my opinion a rip off. The fees are outrageous and the return is minimal. I would cash them out and invest in something else.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,973 times
Try and do a reallocation atleast once a year. Also try and get an experienced agent rather than a rookie.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Thank you for your replies...I am following up on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance