Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes shes right but it brings up another question, how did $800,000 go missing from the family budget? Is this income that she had that the husband was unaware? If so, what happened if the IRS found it before the husband found out.. He'd be going to prison for her hiding out.
You know, different families have different ways of budgeting. They can have separate checking accounts where their income is deposited and decided to put a fixed amount into the joint account to pay for the house bills every month or so.
I know how much my wife makes and she knows how much I make, but we both have joint checking and savings and separate accounts, I don't know exactly how much she has in her own savings since I haven't asked in a while and she hasn't asked how much I have in my savings.
And why do you assume she is not paying taxes?? married filing separately has always been an option.

Who knows maybe the guy has a gambling problem (or worse) and she hides the money for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK, April 27 (UPI) -- A New York woman has sued her bank for letting slip to her husband that she had $800,000 in an account in her own name.

Nazita Aminpour, a dentist, says in legal papers that the Chase bank branch in Kew Gardens, Queens, violated federal privacy laws, the New York Post reports.

Wife: Bank told hubby about account - UPI.com

haha, ooooooopsie!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I think her suit is valid, regardless of what they think about having a slush fund from your spouse. I know a number of people that do it as they have a spouse who spends freely or they approach divorce.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2009 View Post
Wharether reason is, I think she has right to have her own money.
Then she'd better not live in MY state. If she earned it during marriage, half of it is his. Simply putting it in a separate account does not necessarily mean it's legally separate.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Both me and my boyfriend have 'secret' bank accounts. I don't know how much money he has, and he doesn't know how much money I have. We love each other dearly but you just don't know what's going to happen in the future so we're both covering our own asses

I love it. I have to agree though.
I have my own bank account's from my partner as well. He doesn't have to know everything about my financial life.
Just because you are married or how ever it is classified, IMO, I think every individual needs thier "own" somethin' somethin' be it whatever.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Seriously, my first thought upon reading this was "uh, oh". What if the husband was abusive and she was saving up money in a secret account to be able to get away and start a new life?

Maybe I've seen too many movies, but I sincerely hope the next story we hear isn't that she turns up dead or missing.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
The woman is an idiot for entrusting a bank in the U.S. to keep that much money secret. She's also an idiot for using a U.S. bank anyway if the goal is to keep the money away from her husband. She'd have been much better off putting the money offshore where banks are more competent and U.S. divorce courts' arms cannot reach.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Two thoughts

1) Would everyone's comments be the same if the woman had $1000 stashed and she was suing?

2) Boy oh boy I hope she wasn't saving up to buy him a really really nice birthday gift. ;-)

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
It could be money she had before the marriage - inheritance, proceeds from sale of house, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 AM

407 posts, read 1,559,028 times
Default I haven't heard anyone wonder....

if the HUBBY has some money stashed away somewhere....

Regardless, privacy laws apply to everyone, even a spouse. If the name is not on the account, no information at all should be divulged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance