Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times

Advertisements

Lately I've encountered a lot of posts by judgmental members concerning those who dare commit the sin of irresponsibly carrying a credit card balance. Like the Pharisees, they continually state that they pay off their credit card balances on time, each and every month. They stop at nothing to defend the banks' policies aimed at those whom they view as moral inferiors (i.e., debtors).

Why the attitude and superiority complex? Are you lying to yourselves about your own financial situation and simply too embarrassed to say that you're in debt? Are you delusional enough to believe that extreme frugality has just as devastating an impact on the economy as extreme debt?

Lots of people come to this site looking for honest advice on dealing with their credit card issuers and debt management in general. The holier-than-thou attitude by so many its members simply isn't helpful.

My 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Interesting. I haven't noticed too much of that, although it does crop up time to time. What I have noticed is an alarmingly large number of people who are frantically searching for someone to blame (other than themselves) for the state their lives are in. Sometimes it really is someone else's fault, but more often...it's not.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 1,037,172 times
in the end, they can't make these people pay the debts because they are unsecured. They just get charged off. Pretty funny.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
I'm not exactly sure who you are referring to. I don't really care very much what other people do as long as it's not hurting me. The sad thing is, now CC companies are coming after good customers like me because of the irresponsible actions of others. It is frustrating when people come here and say, "I have racked up $45,000 in CC debt. Now I'm going to just not pay". Because so many have taken this attitude, now the CC companies are trying to squeeze me for money.

Still, I personally don't recall posting anything mean towards anyone here whether they have CC debt or not. Also, I'm not in denial. I really don't have any CC debt. I've been completely CC debt free for about 6 months. It's the best feeling.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Well you said it in your opening shot, 'irresponsibility'. When practiced by millions of people we end up in the mess we are in today, and the irresponsibility of many is not impacting the future of everyone.

How is the the "I want it all, and I want it now" attitude learned as a child throwing a tantrum in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart serving you now that you fear answering the phone because of the hoard of creditors that are after you?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
What I have noticed is an alarmingly large number of people who are frantically searching for someone to blame (other than themselves) for the state their lives are in. Sometimes it really is someone else's fault, but more often...it's not.
That's what I have seen also.

It's not that I am a fan of banks/cc companies and their policies, but when people blame THEM instead of taking personal responsibility, that's when I post.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Very, very few people even carry much of a credit card balance as a whole. The media has made it out to seem everyone in America save for the Jones' neighbors have $30k in credit card debt, when that simply isn't the case.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM

21 posts, read 70,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Lately I've encountered a lot of posts by judgmental members concerning those who dare commit the sin of irresponsibly carrying a credit card balance. Like the Pharisees, they continually state that they pay off their credit card balances on time, each and every month. They stop at nothing to defend the banks' policies aimed at those whom they view as moral inferiors (i.e., debtors).

Why the attitude and superiority complex? Are you lying to yourselves about your own financial situation and simply too embarrassed to say that you're in debt? Are you delusional enough to believe that extreme frugality has just as devastating an impact on the economy as extreme debt?

Lots of people come to this site looking for honest advice on dealing with their credit card issuers and debt management in general. The holier-than-thou attitude by so many its members simply isn't helpful.

My 2 cents...
I have to agree. I got a credit card through Continental Finance which is supposed to help with your bad credit. They put a processing fee on my card for $250, a monthly fee of $15, and a $50 annual fee on top of this. I have to pay $35 a month for a card I basically can't use. They give you a $50 credit card limit each month and by the time I pay all the fees and dues I get about $16 or $17 a month I can use. Oh, and they charge 19% interest by the way. You would think there would be laws against scam artists like this you know? I also belong to Horizon and they are just as bad. Neither card is worth 2 cents. I wish I had never signed up for any of them. They've only gotten me "further" in debt and I am on a government social security disability!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM

211 posts, read 402,674 times
I know people who haven't lived within their means, always out to impress or get more stuff....tap out their credit cards, suck the equity out of their homes, and trade in a year old car for a newer one...within 6 years they've traded in vehicles 5 times...one less than a year old and the others 1, they're now stuck with their vehicles since they owe way more than they're worth, they've now hit a brick wall...all their credit cards are maxed except for one....they now want to tap that out to get a 50" wide screen tv...so they'll at least have one since they say they might have to file bankruptcy....can't sell their house since they're 30+k underwater......these are the people that I don't feel the least bit sorry for...these are the people that annoy me.
I have never felt superior to them or anyone else who lives like this...what I am is grateful I have no desire to live like that. I'm content with my life...I don't need lots of stuff via debt to be happy. I started a "slush fund" for my wide screen tv and enjoy it more since I have no payments to make on it...cash is king.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

My 2 cents...

Why the attitude towards sayng people are lying and in debt? Why all the attitude about the terms if you think it wise? Those reposnsse are to people complaining about their being charged for the crdit card crisdis. Do you really thnik we got to this situation by people good attitude to crdit and the walking on credit edbt? Who do you think pays for that debt people can't pay;the banks? certainly not its the consumer in higher interest rates and fees. So yes if you get yourself in trouble on a home or credit card debt then it does effect more than you. That is why I am in favor of the new bill that will tighten credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance