Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,957 times

Advertisements

My credit has been pretty good up until this random item ended up on my report It is a collection account for $33. I don't have any non-pays on my report. Why would i let my credit go to s*** over $33? The collection agency claims it is for some equipment that I did not return for Charter communications two years ago. I don't have any Charter equipment. Why the hell would I keep it? Secondly I never received any correspondence from them. I disputed the accuracy with equifax and it came back as verified.

First of all, how is it legal for a collection account to show up on your report when the original creditor never showed up on the report? Is that legal?

Secondly, do I have a right to ask Equifax to show me evidence of how they proved I owe this? Sometimes I feel so helpless as a consumer. It's all about the creditors. The credit agencies definitely have their best interests at heart.

I just need to know what my next steps are. Should I go to the BBB, Attorney General etc and should I file the complaint against equifax and the collection agency?

also the collection agency said they'd accept the $33 but would not take of my credit report they would only update the collection account as paid. Well there would still be a collection account on my credit report. Why would i pay something I don't owe and you leave it on my credit report?

I'm wondering if I should send the collection agency a letter and request that they delete if I pay but I'd want that in writing first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 PM

93 posts, read 646,066 times
If it truly is not yours, don't pay it!!! Dispute it with the credit bureaus. Send a letter to the collection agency demanding that they send you legal validation of the debt within 30 days. If they can't, they must delete it by law. And file a police report if it is identity theft. Doing these things will protect your rights and help you to get the item off of your reports.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,957 times
Hi Mommytrish,

Well I did have an account with Charter communications 3 years ago. What I'm disputing is the fact that I owe them anything. All my bills were paid on time and in full. I keep hearing people mention the debt validation letter so I will do that.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
If you disputed online then nothing really happened. You have to dispute it in writing. Also call the original company and ask them about the details of the debt. Ask them to give you dates. If and when they sent you a bill and to what address, etc...

Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
If you did have an account with Charter, when you moved or cancelled the acount, did you turn in the equipment and get a receipt that it was returned..?
If you just moved and left the equipment in the house, you owe the debt.
Go talk to the Charter office if you did return it.
I cancelled my Charter a year ago. I took all equipment to the office, and got a receipt. that is the only corret way to cancel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance