Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

I tried over a year ago and completely forgot about it. I never got anything back that I can remember. I have about 5 accounts active on there that are my twin brother's and a few more of his that are closed. Even a few inquiries of his. And to top it off, it has his name as me on the credit report but also my name as an alias

So I signed up to CSC since that is who I have to go through to dispute something on Equifax. But I may not get the account numbers in time before the 2 days is up.

When I tried this last time (but I sent a certified letter) I wrote everything down and provided my credit report explaining what was wrong and that it was my brothers. I even gave them his number to verify but they never called.

My questions:

What do they do to correct a dispute?
Do they just call the creditor?
Is there more info on my credit report that I don't see but they do to help identify what's actually my stuff?
How long did it take before you heard something back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
my wife had a negative report show up for something that wasnt hers..

we had them investigate it. they came back and said it was correct.

when we got more info we found it was identity theft and someone oened up their electric service with her name and ss number.

about that time we had gotten a call from a loan company questioning a credit card request so we had reported it to the police.

bottom line was she had to send the utility company the police report ,a letter from her landlord saying she always lived here for 25 years and a sworn statement that it wasnt her.

the utility company then notified equifax and it was removed.

took about 8 months

Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 AM

70 posts, read 223,041 times
Quote:
took about 8 months
Yes, that's what worries many of us, but you really can't help it. It takes such a long period and you keep wondering why it's such a pain..

Old 06-10-2011, 06:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
What do they do to correct a dispute?
Once a dispute is registered with your CC, the amount gets frozen at its starting point if there is sufficient funds.
Do they just call the creditor?
Once the dispute is in your banks system, then the computer system automatically sends out a electronic notice until it hits the origination point. Once it hits the last bank in the trail that bank has a certain amount of days to respond/resolve the dispute. Usually 90 days if you are using a major cc (CapitalOne, Citi, FIA,etc)
Is there more info on my credit report that I don't see but they do to help identify what's actually my stuff?
Yes. But remember there are humans who do typos that can screw it all up easily.
How long did it take before you heard something back?
Depends on your bank. Depends on your history of disputes. Usually the less disputes, gets it resolved faster. A number is usually 30-90 days, but can take longer if there are multiple layers to go through.

Remember. If you are using a CC that says Debit on it then its equivalent to a check and not a cc. This is why its always better to use a cc, and not a debit cc, if you want to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance