Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:21 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times

Advertisements

I bought something on 06/04/09. I want to pay off the balance as soon as possible to avoid charges. I look at my account status online today 06/08/09 and don't see a balance but the purchase amount is already deducted from the credit limit. Is this normal? Or is it a new trick (hiding the balance so people can't pay early)? The point is I want to pay but I can't because the balance is not showing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
So pay anyway. You know you made the purchase!

No trick BTW. It often can take 3 or 4 days for a purchase to post.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I agree this is not new. The CC company does not set up their online sites for people to have balance available unless that is what your 'inquiry' is set-up for.

If you know how much the purchase was and can send the money in I would CALL to make sure that you have the correct means of designating the purpose of the payment /account number / address.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Not new.

There are two different figures in play.

First is the Credit Line which is the amount you can borrow. Immediately upon approval of a purchase the amount approved is deducted from this Credit Line. At the point the actual items posts to your balance then the hold is removed from the Credit Line. If the item never does post to your balance then the hold will just age off in 5-7 days and the amount added back to the Credit Line.

Second is the actual balance. As mentioned before, it can take 3-4 days for a purchase to post and become an actual item to pay. Only upon the posting does your CC bank settle with the merchants bank.

You were seeing the amount off of the Credit Line and not seeing a transaction posted to your balance yet.

Totally normal.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
What charges are you trying to avoid?

What is the billing date of your account? From that date you should have another 20 days or so before you owe anything but the actual purchase amount.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
You can send the payment whenever you want. If you over pay or pay before purchases post then your account would just show a positive balance. I've had positive balances on my Kohl's card because I returned stuff after I paid the cc bill. After 3 months they send you a check.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
While the process as described is supposedly "normal", there are a couple of issues most of you are missing.

First, with the possible exceptions of car rentals and hotel bills, 99% of transactions are completely electronic and instantanious through a verifone or other mechanism. The credit line vs. balance is largely BS. Yeah, some merchants might take a day to balance and close out, but merchants want their money and slow finalizing is rare.

The second issue is that I have run across is more devious, and I assure you it does happen. If, for whatever reason (yeah I hear you "I never carry a balance" folks I try not to as well) you do have a balance at the end of one period, and you go online to check your balance on the day before or day of your statement, one of two things is likely to happen - first, you won't be allowed to access your information (that was a startle the first time it happened), or second- even more deviously, one or two transactions will be missing. The amount may just be a buck or two, but it is enough to keep the interest charges accruing. When you are making thirty to a hundred transactions, and are on a business trip, keeping up with the bookwork is impractical. The card company obviously has the information available, since it shows up on the printed statement even though the exact same transactions do not show up online on the same day or day after.

When doing business with credit card companies you ALWAYS have to understand that the company is actively trying to find ways to make you pay more fees and interest. If a scheme isn't spelled out as illegal by a specific law, it will be used. Morality and fair play have nothing to do with how predatory lenders work.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
If you examine the process, it might be more understandable. What happens is when the merchant swipes your card, it checks your limit balance, authorizes the charge and reduces your limit balance assuming you aren't over your limit. Later, the merchant processes all the credit card transactions either that night, the next morning or some other time frame. Once this is done, it places a pending charge on your account, which can take a business day or three before it becomes an actual charge and showing up on your account. Some credit card companies show pending charge details and some don't, so this may be why you don't see it.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
Go ahead and send the payment on the purchase. Next time, I would just use cash.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
If you are mailing the payment, by the time it gets there the charge should have appeared. If you are paying on line, you probably will not be able to pay it until the charge appears. If you look at the online payment options you will see the most you can pay is a small amount over the current balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance