Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If they do not know what they are signing why are they signing it? Does not make much sense. Its not like this stuff is rocket science. Most credit card companies are not tricking anybody, their terms are clearly spelled out. Even the "loan sharks" at check cashing places etc, have pretty clearly spelled out terms. People have no self control, that is the issue.

Honestly, what is so hard to understand? I've never had trouble understanding the terms and conditions of credit applications.

Anyhow, don't like what the banks do? Don't use their services.
BEEEEPPP Wrong

Studies have shown that Harvard grads can not understand that jibberish crap in those terms that only you understand so clearly. Yes it makes a lot of sense. In this economic depression there are many people who are desperate. Some cant even read or write but this care credit company for dental services comes along. If your tooth was hurting you so bad you could not stand it and this credit company offered to hand over a couple thousand dollars to the dentist so he can make that pain stop then you would not give a flying f... either. One dont need to be educated for our instinctive qualitys of nature to kick in.

Now you and annert who are the only 2 on the face of the earth who defend banks with your balls and your blood can just accept that banks are criminals. Learn your enemy. Weren't you the one who claimed that the lottery preyed on poor people? Banks certianly do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Studies have shown that Harvard grads can not understand that jibberish crap in those terms that only you understand so clearly.
Show me these studies. I'm sure there are some Harvard grads that may have hard time understanding it, but in general? That is silly, the terms and conditions are pretty straight forward. I ask again, what is so hard to understand? They state the current interest rate and fees, and they end it with "We can change whatever the hell we want whenever we want". What is so difficult here?

Quote:
If your tooth was hurting you so bad you could not stand it and this credit company offered to hand over a couple thousand dollars to the dentist so he can make that pain stop then you would not give a flying f... either. One dont need to be educated for our instinctive qualitys of nature to kick in.
The service sounds rather "subprime", if you were a prime borrower there would be little point in using it. You could just use a low interest rate credit card. Regardless, if I was a subprime borrower, with no money that needed a tooth fixed I'll still read the terms and conditions! At worst I would simply not pay the money back. You can't bleed a turnip.

Quote:
Now you and annert who are the only 2 on the face of the earth who defend banks with your balls and your blood can just accept that banks are criminals. Learn your enemy. Weren't you the one who claimed that the lottery preyed on poor people? Banks certianly do.
I don't recall saying anything about the lottery, but lotteries are certainly ways to tax low-income folks. They are so called "idiot taxes".

I don't see the banks as my enemy and I find their paper work fairly easy to understand. But, if I was unhappy with a service I would stop using it. I don't understand why people complain so much about banks. Don't like them, don't use their services.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Medical Credit Cards Draw Complaints - cbs5.com (http://www.cbs5.com/investigates/CBS.5.Investigates.2.934351.html - broken link)

Old 06-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Medical Credit Cards Draw Complaints - cbs5.com (http://www.cbs5.com/investigates/CBS.5.Investigates.2.934351.html - broken link)
This did not make much sense.

They keep talking about "refunds", but they are using a creditor. Do they mean a refund to them personally or the funds being returned to the creditor? Its not really clear. In the first case the hospital returned the money and the loan was satisfied, so what is the issue exactly!? That it took a bit for the hospital and creditor to work things out?

These "feel sorry for us" articles never make much sense.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
About a year and a half ago I had dental work done and the dentist pushed "care credit" under GE as a payment plan. I stupidly thought it was a payment plan- didnt realize it was a promotional time period with no interest for 18 months. I am infuriated at myself for not reading fine print because last month there was $4,000 dollars billed to the account for past interest. The previous balance was only 4k- so now it has doubled and my monthly payment of 350 isn't even covering the finance charges. I cannot believe credit card companies can get away with this. Is there anything I can do???? I do not have this kind of money- and the balance will never go down with this min. payment? Has anyone ever been in this situation? help!
I had two different payment plans with them, with two different due dates. One for now (next july) and the 2nd for one more year. They put the accounts together without notice and all the money was due next month with 23% of interest. I just noticed last month the irregularity and took a loan this week. I'm paying them on monday and closing the card.

The girl who help me with the loan at the bank had carecredit also. She said you can call them and renegociate the debt if that helps but they'll probably charge you even more money, that would probably harm your credit, etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Show me these studies. I'm sure there are some Harvard grads that may have hard time understanding it, but in general? That is silly, the terms and conditions are pretty straight forward. I ask again, what is so hard to understand? They state the current interest rate and fees, and they end it with "We can change whatever the hell we want whenever we want". What is so difficult here?

The service sounds rather "subprime", if you were a prime borrower there would be little point in using it. You could just use a low interest rate credit card. Regardless, if I was a subprime borrower, with no money that needed a tooth fixed I'll still read the terms and conditions! At worst I would simply not pay the money back. You can't bleed a turnip.

I don't recall saying anything about the lottery, but lotteries are certainly ways to tax low-income folks. They are so called "idiot taxes".

I don't see the banks as my enemy and I find their paper work fairly easy to understand. But, if I was unhappy with a service I would stop using it. I don't understand why people complain so much about banks. Don't like them, don't use their services.
If you defend banks then I guess you will just never understand. I feel bad for you. Banks suck. That is not my or anyones opinion. It's a fact. Arguing it is senseless. From this point on you can argue with yourself since you are the only one who agrees with you.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
If you defend banks then I guess you will just never understand. I feel bad for you. Banks suck. That is not my or anyones opinion. It's a fact. Arguing it is senseless. From this point on you can argue with yourself since you are the only one who agrees with you.
There are many people that do not use the banks as a scapegoat for their problems. I don't see the banks as being bad or good, they are business providing a service. Some of their services I don't care for, so I don't use them.

So, no link to that study that shows Harvard grads can't read simple terms and conditions?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
There are many people that do not use the banks as a scapegoat for their problems. I don't see the banks as being bad or good, they are business providing a service. Some of their services I don't care for, so I don't use them.

So, no link to that study that shows Harvard grads can't read simple terms and conditions?
Our last President was a Harvard grad. Given the stumbles he has speaking, I have no doubt that he fits the category. This has little or nothing to do with his policies, since those were primarily generated by his advisers, as is the case of many busy executives. I use the example strictly to point out that reading legalese is a skill set that is not taught as a course, nor should people who have other extreme skills have to deal with it.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:55 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
BEEEEPPP Wrong

Studies have shown that Harvard grads can not understand that jibberish crap in those terms that only you understand so clearly. Yes it makes a lot of sense. In this economic depression there are many people who are desperate. Some cant even read or write but this care credit company for dental services comes along. If your tooth was hurting you so bad you could not stand it and this credit company offered to hand over a couple thousand dollars to the dentist so he can make that pain stop then you would not give a flying f... either. One dont need to be educated for our instinctive qualitys of nature to kick in.

Studies also showed that most college grads who went in straight out of high school are incapable of such simple measures as balancing a checkbook or filling up a gas tank. Doesn't mean jack. If you don't understand what you are being asked to sign, ask questions until you do before signing it. What is hard about that?

Shouldn't All Students Learn Economics? (Originals)

Harvard, Howard, Duke, Yale, doesn't matter. I really get sick of people assuming that just because you graduated college that you're automatically any smarter than others. All that means is that you had the diligence to sit through years of lecturing and reading.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
BEEEEPPP Wrong

Agreed. They are written to be purposely confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance