Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:36 AM

23 posts, read 73,816 times

Advertisements

One by one ALL 7 of my credit card companies have taken away my low fixed rates, changed them into variable APRs for no other reason than as a revenge to all the credit card law changes. I dont know who to thank, obama or the congress. My credit is immaculate, FICO in the low 800's, never made a late payment in my life, good income, etc., but somehow they are doing this to all their customers across the board from what their reps have told me. My Chase 6.99 fixed went to 14.94 variable, my fixed BofA 8.99 went to 15 variable as well, Discover was at 10.9 and it now at 16 variable, and it goes on. They are punishing good people for the mistakes of others. Now when the prime rate goes up I will be hitting interest in the 20's, which I've never had cards that high. I'm frustrated and there's nothing I can do about it. All the companies I've called said I can turn down their new terms but they would close the accounts! How are ya'll faring with this? I'm

Last edited by Bo; 09-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCounty View Post
One by one ALL 7 of my credit card companies have taken away my low fixed rates, changed them into variable APRs for no other reason than as a revenge to all the credit card law changes. I dont know who to thank, obama or the congress. My credit is immaculate, FICO in the low 800's, never made a late payment in my life, good income, etc., but somehow they are doing this to all their customers across the board from what their reps have told me. My Chase 6.99 fixed went to 14.94 variable, my fixed BofA 8.99 went to 15 variable as well, Discover was at 10.9 and it now at 16 variable, and it goes on. They are punishing good people for the mistakes of others. Now when the prime rate goes up I will be hitting interest in the 20's, which I've never had cards that high. I'm frustrated and there's nothing I can do about it. All the companies I've called said I can turn down their new terms but they would close the accounts! How are ya'll faring with this? I'm
Pay in full every month and it won't matter if the interest is 50%. Use the cards for rewards and don't carry a balance. I don't believe in paying interest, and that has worked for me.
To answer your question yes, they have "rate-jacked" several of my cards. Score in the 800's as well. I could care less.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Pay in full every month and it won't matter if the interest is 50%. Use the cards for rewards and don't carry a balance. I don't believe in paying interest, and that has worked for me.
To answer your question yes, they have "rate-jacked" several of my cards. Score in the 800's as well. I could care less.
^^ yep, what he said. ^^

I do feel for people with high credit card debt. It is a vicous cycle.
I am grateful that I don't fall into that category. If I dont' have the cash to buy it, I do without.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Its just the reaction to new rules that will cahnge credit in this country. They basicaly are changing because of the risk to reward changing with rules.They want to carry less debt and risk.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
Cards were making most of their profit off of bad credit risks. Annual fees may come next for people who don't rack up interest payments.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM

281 posts, read 1,009,293 times
Looking at these forums, I feel like my husband and I are the only people in the country whose rates haven't increased or credit lines decreased. It's very bizarre...

I'm holding my breath, waiting to see if and when our rates go up. I guess we've just been very lucky so far to not have seen any changes.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,591 times
Default Nope

I have 2 credit cards. An HSBC Mastercard and a Chase United Mileage Plus Visa. My interest rate has not changed at all this year on either card. I also do not carry a balance and pay the cards off in full each month. I wonder if the interest rates would have increased if I was carrying a balance?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM

281 posts, read 1,009,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I have 2 credit cards. An HSBC Mastercard and a Chase United Mileage Plus Visa. My interest rate has not changed at all this year on either card. I also do not carry a balance and pay the cards off in full each month. I wonder if the interest rates would have increased if I was carrying a balance?
We're carrying balances. We pay much more than the minimums, but do not pay it all off each month. I don't know. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Looking at these forums, I feel like my husband and I are the only people in the country whose rates haven't increased or credit lines decreased. It's very bizarre...

I'm holding my breath, waiting to see if and when our rates go up. I guess we've just been very lucky so far to not have seen any changes.
No...nothing's changed for us, either. But we pay in full, so I don't really care what the interest rate is. Maybe we'll all go back to charge cards like Amex - no limit, small yearly fee, and you pay 'em in full every month. Americans need to get off of their credit habit anyway.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I have never had a interest charge ;paying each month and my rate has just recently gone up. 800+ cradit rating also. But in the end it doesn't matter to me.My guess is that it just depends on what your rate was and when they get to your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance