Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:29 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,966 times

Advertisements

I'm single, no children, no significant other, no strong relationships with family members (and even if I had them I've heard horror stories about relatives swooping in and raiding people's dwellings following their death).

So I guess I need an attorney to make sure my wishes are carried out. I can't count on anyone I know to see I am cremated or that my assets are given to the two charities I have selected. I also have jewelry I need sold in one form or another so that these charities get the proceeds. I do have a will through Legal Zoom, but given the fact I do have assets to dispense of and no one to dispense of me, I think I will have to hire an attorney to make sure things get done right. Do you agree?

Do I need an estate attorney, a real estate attorney (I've changed my name legally and now have to get my new name on the deed of trust or I cannot imagine what kind of mess that will be!) or both attorneys? I can try to get the deed changed myself but can't count on anyone to take care of the other stuff. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by movin'on; 10-11-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: add thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Estates attorney.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Estates attorney.
Thanks. Do you know can I do my own will on Legal Zoom and just give it to said attorney to look over and then name said attorney to be the executor of my will? On a practical note, do I then carry some card in my wallet saying "in the event of my death, contact XX."? And if I want to be cremated and my ashes spread over a specific area do I have to contact a company to set that up?

Egads, I hate thinking about all this stuff, but I don't have anyone else to just leave things to and I don't want to leave any mess for others to sort through once I am no longer here (which I do hope is far off in the future).

I really wonder what percentage of people don't set this stuff up in advance. Yeah, it is depressing and maybe people somehow come to terms with looking at or buying burial plots when they hit their 60s or 70s (maybe never) but I still am a ways off from that.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Some estate attorneys will be executor but not all. Often they will suggest you contact someone that can be a trustee-often specialized financial planners can do this for you. Honestly though, it is worth a few hundred dollars to get your will set up properly, besides, what you are looking for is actually a trust, not a will.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Prepay your funeral, and arrange $ be left to the charities by way of your bank. I wouldn't pay a lawyer to do what I could do myself, especially if the fees were high. Do some research online. How to keep the vultures at bay, so to speak. It's good to have a will. Living trusts can be set up, too.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,040,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Living trusts can be set up, too.
Will & Trust Kit . . untitled personal property (shoes or silver) is pretty much "up for grabs" by anyone with access to it. Might consider eventually selling expensive jewelry and depositing those funds in a "titled" bank or investment account.

If a veteran, you may be eligible for the burial benefit.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
I think you also need to name someone to "execute" your will... Maybe you can name one of the charities... Not sure.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Here we go...

In my opinion, you should at least consult with an estates attorney. Ask your friends for names. You want someone who is willing to step in immediately and make sure your remains are disposed of, as desired. It will be simpler if it is the same person who can execute your estate. Your will names who you would like to serve as the executor of your estate. So, you will likely need a new will. (I doubt any attorneys will draft a codicil anymore, given technological advances, etc.)

Now for the stuff everyone has an opinion about...

I would NEVER use one of the will kits. Especially when you have potential heirs that might contest the will. Although I am an attorney, I no longer draft wills. However, based on my participation on various attorney listserves, I can tell you that estates attorneys make a lot of money AFTER the death of someone who decided to draft his or her own will. Estates and trusts laws are complex and state specific. Too many screw ups. Do you need a trust? Not everyone does. In fact, most people don't. I certainly don't have one. But you might need one. I have no clue and neither do the people on this board. Find an estates attorney - do not be "penny wise, pound foolish."

Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Prepay your funeral, and arrange $ be left to the charities by way of your bank. I wouldn't pay a lawyer to do what I could do myself, especially if the fees were high. Do some research online. How to keep the vultures at bay, so to speak. It's good to have a will. Living trusts can be set up, too.
Financially it is very foolish to prepay a funeral-pre-plan and set aside some money in life insurance or with your assets but don't give that to the funeral home for 10, 20, 50 years.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM

Wow, thanks for all the good information. I guess I really have a lot to learn. I do have Suze Orman's books and should probably start reading them as she says a lot of this can be done myself. However, I would for sure run anything by an estate attorney.

I looked intp The Neptune Society and it's really pretty funky. I am not sure about them. They have some reef they use to spread ashes and that sure isn't where I want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance