Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been sued by a collection agency with a law firm attched to it. I answered the Summon and now they sent me an admission (dated May 26) and didn't received this documents after 5 days, it says I have 30 days to respond. Also, attached to it is request for production of documents and interrogatories, date 7/06/10. I am a little confused about the dates and of course how to respond. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,204,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If you received a summons, then you would have received it from the court and not from the so-called attorneys "representing" the debt collector. Is there a case number from the court, not from the collection agency? Does the court have a record of the suit? If so, then you need a lawyer. If the court doesn't know about it, then this letter is just a way to try to scare you. The summons and complaint are issued by the court, not by an attorney's office.
This seems to be a good suggestion. Sometimes the letters that are sent by an attorney do not have a case number on them. They are just what Seans says "scare tactics"...possibly the statute of limitations is applicable at this point. This is just my take on the situation...I don't have a legal background

Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
This seems to be a good suggestion. Sometimes the letters that are sent by an attorney do not have a case number on them. They are just what Seans says "scare tactics"...possibly the statute of limitations is applicable at this point. This is just my take on the situation...I don't have a legal background
I agree with this 100%.

I know that when I have an issue with a company, I write a letter and send a copy to my attorney. Now, that doesn't mean I've retained the lawyer for this purpose at all. But seeing that cc: at the bottom of the page can scare the crap out of a company and help me get what I want.

Sounds to me like they are trying a similar tactic on you.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
I too am being sued by a junk debt buyer . Chase was the original owner .I filed a answer of denial requested a validation of debt . They sent me a affavaidte and some credit card statements. Now i recieved a form interrogatories and a request for admissions, produce of documents.. Now what do i do? My original balance was 5912.00 with interest from the crdeit card now they want 5912+ 3000 plus attorney fees. What is my next step?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:21 AM

36 posts, read 190,617 times
danabcb send me an email to tlcpetmommy@gmail.com; and I can probably help you!!! I have guides etc. I can help you with.

Did you file an Answer to the complaint? If not, we may want to consider that as a step. Validation of the debt consists of nothing more, than Who the Orig. Creditor Was, a date, and the amount. That is it, unless a judgment has been brought against you.

I’m not an Attorney, I’ve not had any formal Legal training. Everything I say/do is what I have learned through my own experiences, of fighting 2 lawsuits against us, on my own; and through research and extensive studying, of the Consumer Protection laws. I cannot legally advise you, but I can tell you what I’ve done, and/or what I would do if it were me in a given situation.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Displaced, tell them to stop calling you. They must and if not write it down everytime. It is the LAW that they must stop callng you once you tell them to. They sound like rookies. They shouldn't need anything from you and it sounds like harrasment.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Displaced, tell them to stop calling you. They must and if not write it down everytime. It is the LAW that they must stop callng you once you tell them to. They sound like rookies. They shouldn't need anything from you and it sounds like harrasment.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmommy View Post
I’m not an Attorney, I’ve not had any formal Legal training.
Boy, isn't that obvious.

Just a heads up here that anyone reading this should definitely NOT send this person any information. Not only has her opinion on debt validation been struck down by caselaw and the FTC, it's the same opinion espoused by the collection industry. It's my opinion that this person is here trying to mine for information to use against consumers asking for help, which is not uncommon.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM

36 posts, read 190,617 times
Excuse me!!! But until you know for sure, it is best to keep one's mouth shut!! I have helped many, many people, with their lawsuits and collection agency problems.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,490,762 times
Oh, I just discovered this thread. Cool! This is gonna be fun. What going on here? Anyone want help?

I am an attorney, licensed in Ohio, 31 year of practice, familiar with all aspects of consumer credit, collections and civil litigation. I will not render specific legal advice and will not entertain any request for the engagement of legal services to a specific individual or on a specific legal matter. But I know all of the answers to all collection and civil litigation questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance