Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 09:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

getting advice of retirement, nothing wrong with that, but the OP is a personal data questionnaire. i see these too frequently on CDF. when i ask why, the answer is always, oh just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Can someone please explain the rationale of not investing any more into the 401k than the company will match? It seems to me that unless a person is knowledgeable enough to manage their own investments and feels as though they could get a better return somewhere else, the 401k is one of the best vehicles - especially considering it is tax deferred. I'm not sure the average person is that knowledgeable. I'd hate to think that someone would interpret this advice as saying that rather than max out a 401k they should keep the additional as discretionary income or save it in a money market account.

What am I missing here?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Don't buy any more stock in the company you work for. Remember Enron.
I don't think Wal-Mart is going to collapse anytime soon...

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
AVA

129 posts, read 321,274 times
36 yrs old $85,000 in a 401K

Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I don't think Wal-Mart is going to collapse anytime soon...
haha he got you there. Do you get any discount by chance?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
That's because the Goldman's of the world can't stand for you to make more than 0 %

401 k's are a joke, they do nothing for you but delay the inevitable... complete reliance on Social welfare...
EXCUSE ME? Are you saying what I think you are saying..."Goldman's"...what an offensive, narrow and ignorant comment.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM

593 posts, read 2,440,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Can someone please explain the rationale of not investing any more into the 401k than the company will match?

What am I missing here?
A lot of people invest only up to the company match in their 401k because the options in their 401k plan are often overpriced.

A lot of 401k plans only offer a few funds from a single fund company that have bloated expense ratios (sometimes over 2%!).

Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
A lot of people invest only up to the company match in their 401k because the options in their 401k plan are often overpriced.

A lot of 401k plans only offer a few funds from a single fund company that have bloated expense ratios (sometimes over 2%!).
Some companies have poor choices on their 401k, a friend of mine who works for a federal contractor only puts up to the match, because they give him 3% automatically without matching, and 50% matching on the first 6%, so by putting 6%, he gets 12%, and there is no need to vest. But the choices are all either bond funds, "balanced" funds, or domestic large cap funds. No small caps, emerging markets, target retirement, international, or other investment choices. He is investing the rest of his money in a Roth IRA.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Can someone please explain the rationale of not investing any more into the 401k than the company will match? It seems to me that unless a person is knowledgeable enough to manage their own investments and feels as though they could get a better return somewhere else, the 401k is one of the best vehicles - especially considering it is tax deferred. I'm not sure the average person is that knowledgeable. I'd hate to think that someone would interpret this advice as saying that rather than max out a 401k they should keep the additional as discretionary income or save it in a money market account.

What am I missing here?
Consider for a moment that the US spending and deficits will amount to a debt load of 200% of GDP by 2038 if Congress doesn't change its evil ways.

If this uncontrolled spending continues, my tax deferred 401k runs the risk of being taxed at rates that are unheard of when I retire in the 2040's. By only investing in what my company matches in my 401k, I am getting 100% return on that money plus whatever interest that account makes. I invest a bit more in my 401k on top of this to reach my goal of 20% savings.

My Roth IRA is tax free at retirement and I have more investment options than with my company 401k. I have professional management from an objective, fee based CFP in addition to an investment advisor is a straight shooter himself (for a salesman, anyway). I am basically taking a position that my taxes will be higher at the time I retire than they are now. I will gladly pay taxes now while they are reasonably low.

I plan on placing some short term money into a CD ladder as my general savings accumulates. This will give me the option of some liquidity every 6-12 months should I need it. I won't be doing that until my other goals are taken care of though, but that's the plan.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I'm 46, and my 401(k) is worth about $80,000 now. *sigh* There were some very lean years when I couldn't contribute anything, including three years spent at a company that didn't even offer a retirement plan. Also, after the stock market crash in 1987, I got scared and put everything in the safest investments (and the lowest yielding, of course).

I'm very glad that I listened to the financial advisor I work for. She warned me to only put 3-5% of my 401(k) into the company stock. The stock tanked pretty badly before the company was bought out, and I'm still recovering from that debacle.

I'm planning to work until I'm 70 if my health holds out. That should give me enough time to invest enough to live on if I'm very frugal. I have 10% withheld from each check, and the company matches up to 6%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance