Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times

Advertisements

The credit card co just increased my rate(what`s new). I`ve been an on time paying customer with exellent credit. I`m ticked! So I keep hearing about how credit unions will give you a better rate. Would anyone know if you transfer to a credit union, are the transfer fees typically lower than the big bank fees? And do they raise your rate in a couple of months after transfering your cc to them? Has anyone done this and have been happy with the credit union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
The credit card co just increased my rate(what`s new). I`ve been an on time paying customer with exellent credit. I`m ticked! So I keep hearing about how credit unions will give you a better rate. Would anyone know if you transfer to a credit union, are the transfer fees typically lower than the big bank fees? And do they raise your rate in a couple of months after transfering your cc to them? Has anyone done this and have been happy with the credit union?
A lot of credit unions sell their credit card programs off to bigger banks, like FIA/B of A. Those credit unions that still have in-house credit cards generally do not have the rewards type of programs bigger banks advertise, such as cash back, balance transfers, etc.

I have a credit card at my credit union (in-house) with a rate of 7.75%. Not a bad rate compared to other banks these days, but they offer no balance transfer promotions, which is a shame. They only offer the 25-day grace period.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

68 posts, read 243,450 times
Many credit union cards don't charge a balance transfer fee. Consumers who haven't been able to negotiate a lower interest rate on their bank card may enjoy a fee-free, or low-cost, balance transfer to a credit union card.

The Pew study found that only 25 percent of credit union cards charge a fee to transfer a balance from another card, compared with 88 percent of bank cards surveyed. The median balance transfer fee on credit union cards was 2.5 percent, compared with 3 percent on bank-issued cards. All of the credit union cards that charged a balance transfer fee also set a maximum fee, while only 13 percent of bank cards that charged a fee also capped it. The median cap for credit union cards was $50 and $75 on bank cards.

You may want to speak to your credit union and ask about their fees before making the transfer this way you are well informed!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
The single most common sense thing to do is ask a Credit Union what they can do for you instead of asking for jail house advice here. Good grief!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
What? "jail house" advice? What are you talking about?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
What? "jail house" advice? What are you talking about?
"Jail house advice" is an old term for getting advice from sources that are much less than accurate.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:13 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Call the issuer and tell them that you won't pay the new rate. They should freeze it where it was before they raised it. Don't ever use the card again. And don't close it if you are obsessive about your credit score.

Listen to Tightwad - get to a Credit Union as fast as possible and talk to them about rates and balance transfers. Their rates pretty much stays where they start - they don't fluctuate much.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Are you or a family member in the Military? If so...Navy FCU has a really good deal right now...4.9% for the life of the balance and no transfer fee. Not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance