Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 07:03 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times

Advertisements

Not bragging or putting anyone down. I am just wondering how anyone can survive now a days on that? Back in 2012-2014 I was making around 30-40k a year, but things seemed a lot cheaper. I was renting a apartment for 900 a month and eventually a house for 1200.

I make a lot more now and look back and just wonder how people now a days get by on that. I would find it almost impossible to do so with the current inflation. Sure, I guess if your single and have no kids it could work.

But by the time you add insurance, gas, housing, etc... you cant have anything left. I really feel like the next generation is really screwed on the American dream of home ownership. Some cities you will be needing a minimum of 150k a year to buy a house.

I thought it was bad being a millenial and going through 08 (i was jobless at the time and couldn't find any work), but now a days ....

I cant imagine how hard it will be for kids entering the labor force in this decade... inflation and a upcoming recession is really going to make it hard for them to get on their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 07:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not bragging or putting anyone down. I am just wondering how anyone can survive now a days on that? Back in 2012-2014 I was making around 30-40k a year, but things seemed a lot cheaper. I was renting a apartment for 900 a month and eventually a house for 1200.

I make a lot more now and look back and just wonder how people now a days get by on that. I would find it almost impossible to do so with the current inflation. Sure, I guess if your single and have no kids it could work.

But by the time you add insurance, gas, housing, etc... you cant have anything left. I really feel like the next generation is really screwed on the American dream of home ownership. Some cities you will be needing a minimum of 150k a year to buy a house.

I thought it was bad being a millenial and going through 08 (i was jobless at the time and couldn't find any work), but now a days ....

I cant imagine how hard it will be for kids entering the labor force in this decade... inflation and a upcoming recession is really going to make it hard for them to get on their feet.
You make some interesting points. Timing is everything. We bought our house 20 years ago when prices were a heck of a lot cheaper. Anyone buying today is in a lot more difficult position. One of the best days of my life was when I sent the mortgage payoff to the bank. Price of cars is up a lot too. And insurance, and medical care, and everything else.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:11 AM

45,385 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Millions of people do. The individual median income last year was a bit above $44,000.

Mostly many don't live in high cost areas. In a lot of those areas $20/hour is top rate for journeymen.

Sorry, I meant to provide a link:

https://dqydj.com/average-median-top...%20%2444%2C225.

OP, you live in a high cost area.

You do realize that most professionals like teachers don't even come close to $100K. In Austin the median is $59,500.
https://www.salary.com/research/sala...%20%2468%2C798.

In Austin the median family income is $71,000, well below your minimum of $100,000.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-08-2022 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You make some interesting points. Timing is everything. We bought our house 20 years ago when prices were a heck of a lot cheaper. Anyone buying today is in a lot more difficult position. One of the best days of my life was when I sent the mortgage payoff to the bank. Price of cars is up a lot too. And insurance, and medical care, and everything else.
You literally need a minimum of 100k now a days to just live a descent lifestyle... go out here and there. Drive a honda..etc.. but anything less, you will probably struggle .

I managed to get a house in the Austin area back in 2014 while making 40k a year(I was 25) and FF 7 years later.. We just sold it for a great amount. But I would never ever ever pay 500k for the house I just sold loll.. its insanity.

I believe the next generation will be a class of renters, and unless mom and dad are helping (i had no help), they will be really struggling to get something. Unless they are buying a house in a non-desirable area.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Millions of people do. The individual median income last year was a bit above $44,000.

Mostly many don't live in high cost areas. In a lot of those areas $20/hour is top rate for journeymen.
Sure, lets say you dont live in a high cost area. That means you are likely to be rural or small town. You will still need to drive to the store, or work. Then the cost of food and other items is up and its going to rise sharp for this next decade.. If you look at it ...44k is not much to get by on.. Throw in student debt (if you have it) and you are pinching pennies.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
You literally need a minimum of 100k now a days to just live a descent lifestyle... go out here and there. Drive a honda..etc.. but anything less, you will probably struggle .

I managed to get a house in the Austin area back in 2014 while making 40k a year(I was 25) and FF 7 years later.. We just sold it for a great amount. But I would never ever ever pay 500k for the house I just sold loll.. its insanity.

I believe the next generation will be a class of renters, and unless mom and dad are helping (i had no help), they will be really struggling to get something. Unless they are buying a house in a non-desirable area.
Eventually the free market will correct things. When people can no longer afford to buy a house, prices will come down, when there's a glut of houses on the market and not enough buyers, prices will come down.
When is that going to be? Who knows....

Old 01-08-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Eventually the free market will correct things. When people can no longer afford to buy a house, prices will come down, when there's a glut of houses on the market and not enough buyers, prices will come down.
When is that going to be? Who knows....
The problem here is we have a open border that millions of "new residents' come through every year. Plus companies are buying up all the real estate and wont be selling anytime soon (like blackrock). All the people that re-financed or got 2.75% interest rates wont be selling for a 4% .. Plus Joe wants to get rid of the 1031 exchange for properties valued over 500k... So all the companies are dumping their expensive houses and flooding into 200k+ housing. Thus further creating a shortage...I dont see these prices coming down at all in this decade.. This is not 08 imo....I could be wrong though.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
The problem here is we have a open border that millions of "new residents' come through every year. Plus companies are buying up all the real estate and wont be selling anytime soon (like blackrock). All the people that re-financed or got 2.75% interest rates wont be selling for a 4% .. Plus Joe wants to get rid of the 1031 exchange for properties valued over 500k... So all the companies are dumping their expensive houses and flooding into 200k+ housing. Thus further creating a shortage...I dont see these prices coming down at all in this decade.. This is not 08 imo....I could be wrong though.
Your assessment sounds more or less correct.

The government CANNOT legislate its way to affordable housing. The last time they tried that in South Korea, housing prices tripled.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:30 AM

1,212 posts, read 733,304 times
Well, the bottom tier of social security retirement is less than $11000 per year. But Medicare premiums comes out of that amount if the beneficiary has assets.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:35 AM

If you overbuy for a house at this stage, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of working to pay off the bank. A co-worker recently bought a house for more than triple what I paid for mine. I tried to talk her into a smaller house, but to no avail. Young people want it all and they want it now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance