Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times

Advertisements

Is there a reliable and safe website or service that sells all 3 credit reports and 3 FICO scores? There are so many scam websites and I can't find one that offers all 3 credit reports AND 3 FICO scores. Some sites are trying to scam consumers by providing 1 FICO score and 3 credit reports. myfico.com only offers FICO scores from Transunion and Equifax but not Experian. Also, I'm not interested in the credit monitoring programs that these bureaus provide.

The free credit reports that each bureau provides doesn't include FICO scores so you pretty much have to purchase these scores even if you can get your credit report for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,828 times
DO NOT GO TO: FREECREDITREPORT.COM (it's a business. one free but if you don't cancel, they keep charging you. potentially $179 a year!!!!)

GO TO: Annualcreditreport.com (Run by govt. and you get a free from all three ONCE A YEAR)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Is there a reliable and safe website or service that sells all 3 credit reports and 3 FICO scores? There are so many scam websites and I can't find one that offers all 3 credit reports AND 3 FICO scores. Some sites are trying to scam consumers by providing 1 FICO score and 3 credit reports. myfico.com only offers FICO scores from Transunion and Equifax but not Experian. Also, I'm not interested in the credit monitoring programs that these bureaus provide.

The free credit reports that each bureau provides doesn't include FICO scores so you pretty much have to purchase these scores even if you can get your credit report for free.
Get free score from Credit Karma. It's the same one that sears credit score offer. The score is from Transunion.

http://www.creditkarma.com/

Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,417 times
Annualcreditreport.com is the place to go. It's run by the three major credit reporting companies Transunion, Experian and Equifax.

A good idea is to use annual credit report once quarterly, this way, you can check your credit with one of the agencies every 4 months for free.

Keep in mind, not all of the three credit agencies give you a FICO score. Some companies, and I regret not remembering which one, use a different method.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
I agree, annualcreditreport.com is the only reputable site for checking your credit that won't try to scam you or set you up for something if you don't cancel.

You can get the credit reports for free from all three agencies, one time per year for each of the three, you have to buy the score. So you could potentially pull all three the same day once a year (buying the score if you want it), or you could, as zen said, get one every 4 months, so you can keep an eye on activity.

They also send you an email when you are eligible to pull your report again, as a reminder.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 AM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
The only place to get a true FICO score is from FICO. Experian and FICO had a falling out and because of that EX no longer allows FICO to sell a person their personal credit score, though businesses can still purchase your FICO EX score.

You can get your FAKO scores for free from various places, but keep in mind they are called FAKO's for a reason, I believe the name speaks for itself. FAKO's can be close to a FICO score or they can vary as much as 100 points higher or lower than the FICO scores.

Some of the free FAKO places to go to would be Credit Karma, as sj08054 already mentioned, Quizzle, Know Before You Apply, Credit.com .. for a few examples.

If you want to go to FICO for your TU and EQ scores then be creative, you can get the scores for a much reduced price. You can use a discount code, one of them is CPSAVINGS for 20% off (thanks CB). Then you look over the products they offer, this is where you get creative, and you might sign up for something like quarterly monitoring for either TU or EQ. After you get your score just call and cancel the product. The last time I purchased my TU score it cost me less than $4.00.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
Good advice here, but I have a question: Does anyone else find it totally absurd that we have to purchase our own credit and FICO scores? They're ours!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
lol I agree. I just helped a friend get his reports; we did myfico.com and paid ~$15 for the Transunion report + score, then went to annualcreditreport.com and got the free Experian and Equifax reports. You can buy the Experian score at myfico.com. I would have thought you could buy the Equifax score at their website, but I just (quickly) skimmed over it and I didn't see an option for that, they seem to only give it to you if you sign up for monthly monitoring.

Last time I pulled my scores, they were very similar (within 10-15 points of each other) as were the reports. But my friend has some old issues to clean up, and there were major differences between each report.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Good advice here, but I have a question: Does anyone else find it totally absurd that we have to purchase our own credit and FICO scores? They're ours!
No, they really aren't "ours" just because it contains info about us. The CRA's, FICO, etc., are independent businesses that gather info about us, process it and package it to sell. If they gave their products away for free then they wouldn't be in business very long, unless they are subsidized by the government and the taxpayer would end up paying anyway.

For an example to put it in perspective .. if you went to a photographer and had your portrait done would you expect the photographer to simply hand the portrait over to you for free simply because it has your image on it?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

For an example to put it in perspective .. if you went to a photographer and had your portrait done would you expect the photographer to simply hand the portrait over to you for free simply because it has your image on it?
I see what you're saying however, indulge me just a little. That portrait is something that I initiate. My personal spending habits are not something that I actually give permission to have stored and scrutinized. That information is kept by people I don't know, and probably don't trust. I say that because of the discrepancy between the three bureaus regarding accurate scores. I hold that it is absurd for my to pay for my personal information that I did not agree to having kept in a database by strangers. It is bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance