Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

"When people get desperate, their true character comes out. When the U.S. financial system completely fails one day, the thin veneer of civilization that we all take for granted will evaporate in a matter of days."

Will Americans Be Able To Handle The Next Great Depression? Not If They Are Anything Like This Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Not much "Business, Finance or Investing" info at that site. Seems like a whole lot of baseless moralizing...

Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not much "Business, Finance or Investing" info at that site. Seems like a whole lot of baseless moralizing...
Agreed. As a business owner myself and partner to several businesses, I'd say that we're not in an end-of-the-world mindset at this point. We're cautious, but we're anticipating growth and expansion, certainly much more so than we were a year or even six months ago.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maybe. However, if the question isn''t asked now then when?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Tightwad, I think this post is specious at best. I think that this crosses the line into politics. A political discussion is all that can result from the range of opinions your link will produce.

It's obvious you could use a pep talk and someone to bring your glass a little above half full. If anything else, I would much rather read your opinion than some link to a fifth rail conspiracy website.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Tightwad, I think this post is specious at best. I think that this crosses the line into politics. A political discussion is all that can result from the range of opinions your link will produce.

It's obvious you could use a pep talk and someone to bring your glass a little above half full. If anything else, I would much rather read your opinion than some link to a fifth rail conspiracy website.
After reading this I have to wonder if anyone who posted has actually read the link?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"When people get desperate, their true character comes out. When the U.S. financial system completely fails one day, the thin veneer of civilization that we all take for granted will evaporate in a matter of days."

Will Americans Be Able To Handle The Next Great Depression? Not If They Are Anything Like This Guy
The name of the blog is "The Economic Collapse Blog". I can pretty much guarantee that nothing except his point of view will be expounded on it, because people that worship at the feet of total economic collapse want to never THINK about it not being that.

Because they are the only ones that are prepared. And they'll just feel superior to the rest of us who don't "get it."

It's all horse crap. And I know this because I've read other sites like this and they are ALL horse crap. I've never found any of those sites that talk about the good economic stuff that happens, because it doesn't fit into their head in the sand, food the bunker, so this is it, we're all going to die mentality....

Things are hard right now for a great many people, but MOST of us are fine. And most of us will be fine. And for the people that are having hard times -- most of them will find their way out....

Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Personally, I think the best defense against worrying over much about the collapse of our economy is to build strong personal and community networks. Living in a mindset of sharing is warm protection against worrying about what might or might not come. It sure comforts me to "gather my tribe."

And planting a nice vegetable garden, come Spring will ease my mind, too.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
After reading this I have to wonder if anyone who posted has actually read the link?
Yes, I read the link and watched the video. It means nothing. It has nothing to do with personal finance. It is specious. It offers absolutely zero hard facts or analysis. It is full of terms like "most Americans won't be able to handle the next Great Depression." Well who are most Americans? Based on what study?

It's a generalized observation based on the actions of one individual who went to the zoo after losing their job. Big deal. It's provocative. What does this have to do with personal finance?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Yes, I read the link and watched the video. It means nothing. It has nothing to do with personal finance. It is specious. It offers absolutely zero hard facts or analysis. It is full of terms like "most Americans won't be able to handle the next Great Depression." Well who are most Americans? Based on what study?

It's a generalized observation based on the actions of one individual who went to the zoo after losing their job. Big deal. It's provocative. What does this have to do with personal finance?
What you ask? The intent is to make people think of the possibility enough to pull them out of their comfort zone to take action for their own survival.

A point you obviously missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance