Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times

Advertisements

Just pay it off. What happens when the next client doesn't pay? Are you going to add that on top of the current debt to cover your costs until he or she can pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Just pay it off. What happens when the next client doesn't pay? Are you going to add that on top of the current debt to cover your costs until he or she can pay?
The situation that we were in was VERY unique and I can almost guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

But yeah, I'm just going to pay it off.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
The situation that we were in was VERY unique and I can almost guarantee it wouldn't happen again.
Having clients not paying when they said they would is in no sense unique.

Regardless, the way you handle your debt in business should be much more disciplined than the way you do it personally. On the personal level its simple, just pay off your card at the end of each month. But with business there are going to be times when you need to utilize the money over a period longer than one month. Its a lot easier to get in trouble when this is the case.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Having clients not paying when they said they would is in no sense unique.

Regardless, the way you handle your debt in business should be much more disciplined than the way you do it personally. On the personal level its simple, just pay off your card at the end of each month. But with business there are going to be times when you need to utilize the money over a period longer than one month. Its a lot easier to get in trouble when this is the case.
Do you really want me to bore you and go into details about the situation? I mean, I appreciate your concern, but just believe me when I say that it was unique and very unlikely to occur again.

PLUS it was coupled with the fact that we just started our business last year, so we had some extraneous start up costs. Now that we have fully collected, our cash reserves are MORE than enough.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Do you really want me to bore you and go into details about the situation? I mean, I appreciate your concern, but just believe me when I say that it was unique and very unlikely to occur again.
I'm not talking about the particular details of this situation, that is not the point at all. I'm talking about the general situation, which is a temporary cash flow problem. There are all sorts of reason this can occur and one way of dealing with it is with credit.

Quote:
Now that we have fully collected, our cash reserves are MORE than enough.
Until you actually try to grow out of your bedroom.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the particular details of this situation, that is not the point at all. I'm talking about the general situation, which is a temporary cash flow problem. There are all sorts of reason this can occur and one way of dealing with it is with credit.
Just realize that one of the biggest catalysts for our temporary cash flow shortage was because we began our business in May of last year, and not so much the client situation we had. If we could have had a great influx of income in our first six months of being a business so negate our start-up costs, if would have been fantastic, of course. But we had a moderate amount--and we're lucky to be fully profitable right now, something most small businesses take years to get to. We're even now to the point of being away to "put away" income, which is fantastic.

Quote:
Until you actually try to grow out of your bedroom.
Sorry...I'm a little lost...what do you mean by that?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
and we're lucky to be fully profitable right now, something most small businesses take years to get to.
Luck has nothing to do with it, rather you started a business that requires few capital expenditures. The businesses that take years to become profitable are the ones that require large capital expenditures, not a few licenses, some chairs, desk, computer, spare bedroom, etc.

Also, it is only in the accounting sense that you have profit. If you divided the total hours spent by the income generated I'm sure the hourly wage would be pretty bad. This is of course a sacrifice many cash-strapped businesses take in the hopes of creating a business with actual value (i.e., one that generates a true profit).

Quote:
Sorry...I'm a little lost...what do you mean by that?
The point is that growing what you are doing now into a real business is going to take a lot of capital and you're also going to have to deal with numerous cash flow crises. These arise from a variety of circumstances.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Zero interest for a few more months makes me wonder why even consider paying the loan off until it was due.....If your money can earn you 5. 10. 20 or 100 dollars in the bank or whereever then you gain.....Good luck.

However, you can still give them the minimum monthly payment + your credit score will raise higher when you pay down the card to zero due.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Luck has nothing to do with it, rather you started a business that requires few capital expenditures. The businesses that take years to become profitable are the ones that require large capital expenditures, not a few licenses, some chairs, desk, computer, spare bedroom, etc.

Also, it is only in the accounting sense that you have profit. If you divided the total hours spent by the income generated I'm sure the hourly wage would be pretty bad. This is of course a sacrifice many cash-strapped businesses take in the hopes of creating a business with actual value (i.e., one that generates a true profit).

The point is that growing what you are doing now into a real business is going to take a lot of capital and you're also going to have to deal with numerous cash flow crises. These arise from a variety of circumstances.
I kind of used the term "lucky" as more of a manner of speech rather than saying what we have is due to luck, if that makes any sense.

This is all waaay beyond the scope of my original question, however, as far as wage per hour goes, yeah we would (at the point) make more money working for another company. However, we derive personal fulfillment from being self-employed and we feel as if what we do can very likely give us decent profit (at least for us) as we have several "niche" type things we work with.

Simply put, we enjoy our work and feel that for us the pros outweigh the cons of being self-employed.

All I was trying to ask was if the effect that waiting to pay off the balance would possibly have on my credit score. No offense, but I wasn't coming here for business advice...and if I was looking for advice...I don't think an online forum would be the first place I'd wish to go.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 03-28-2010 at 03:39 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Simply put, we enjoy our work and feel that for us the pros outweigh the cons of being self-employed.
Spot on, Sqiddie. I wouldn't go back to working for "the man" for ANYTHING. I love my independence as an owner. There are down sides -- like in our business, vacations are a distant dream... but the upsides are FAR more plentiful.

And you also show good judgement for not coming to a online forum for business advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance