Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 15,800 times

Advertisements

Can someone truly advise me if you lived in a state where there was an SOL of 4 years (credit cards) and you left state after 3 years and moved can that debt be tolled forever? I lived in Florida.

Where I live now the SOL is 6 years, and my debt is 9 years old and I am wondering if that debt can be tolled forever. I moved in with my mother due to serious illness.

At some point it seams that the SOL has to run out under some jurisdiction somewhere. There is no information about tolling debt and if there is an SOL on that.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM

23,596 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCapsule View Post
Can someone truly advise me if you lived in a state where there was an SOL of 4 years (credit cards) and you left state after 3 years and moved can that debt be tolled forever? I lived in Florida.

Where I live now the SOL is 6 years, and my debt is 9 years old and I am wondering if that debt can be tolled forever. I moved in with my mother due to serious illness.

At some point it seams that the SOL has to run out under some jurisdiction somewhere. There is no information about tolling debt and if there is an SOL on that.

Thank you
As long as you were able to be served then the SOL does not toll.

I've posted the FL tolling statutes awhile back..
Quote:
For tolling, every state has similar statutes to the following statute. Since we are speaking of Fl. than this is the FL. statute that backs up what I said about tolling:

95.051 When limitations tolled.
Paragraphs (a)-(c) shall not apply if service of process or service by publication can be made in a manner sufficient to confer jurisdiction to grant the relief sought.

In simple language, if legal service can be made in any state by publication or by mail to last known address or by proper service to any new address then the SOL cannot be tolled.
Post 10
A credit card story for those in need

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Berdee is correct. Tolling is usually a non issue.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCapsule View Post
No, the debt cannot be tolled forever.

Having said that, there are some caveats. You need to go on-line to the county court clerk where you were living to see if a judgment was filed against you.

Junk debt buyers, and especially collection attorneys have no qualms about lying to a judge and saying you were served, even though you no longer live there, or knowingly serving you at your previous address. That is done to obtain a quick judgment by default.

If a judgment was filed against you, you can file a motion to vacate the judgment based on bad service. They probably would not refile the suit, and if they did, you then have an Absolute Defense (the SOL).

If you cannot vacate the judgment, they cannot collect or attempt to collect until the judgment is transferred to Florida. To do that, they have to file a court action for a hearing. You can appear at the hearing and state objections, such as you weren't properly served in your former state, or that the SOL has expired.

Reviving a debt is a convoluted matter that varies from state to state. As a general rule, never acknowledge a debt and never make a promise to pay (you are being recorded when you talk to debt collectors).

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 AM

7 posts, read 15,800 times
Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance